Chapter 31

It was simple, protect the last of the civilians. With the thirty soldiers that were left with you, and your own two members of your group, it would not be too hard. The last group consisted of 200 people, all of them were men, and some older folks. They would be able to fight back if it came to it, not that you would let them if you could prevent any sort of danger to come their way.

The only downside was that you didn't get too much food, but they were men and knew how to hunt for food. So it wasn't much trouble.

But, this was not what you expected and not what you wanted. The last thing you wanted was to have Prince Luneth to somehow escape from his group and return to the castle. He was worried, and he felt that his responsibility was to stay back and help protect his people. What he didn't realize was that he made your job and the job of everyone else a lot harder. Your main priority was to protect him and the rest of soldiers would do the same, protect him.

"I understand," you started, as you faced Prince Luneth, in his office. After everyone else got ready and left, and when it became your turn, it was way too dark and dangerous to set out. So, the safest place was the castle, so you moved everyone inside it and added protection outside. The conversation you were about to have with Prince Luneth could be saved, or maybe not even take place but you felt that he needed to know. "I understand that you are worried about your people and you find that it is your responsibility to protect them. But in escaping from your personal guards and returning, is not the brightest idea."

The Prince frowned, and even refrained from shouting. "How dare you speak to me like that."

"Your people need you alive now more than ever, they need you to guide them and you can't do that if you're dead. It's highly probable that we can be attacked any minute, and your soldiers will more likely try to protect you rather than protect the civilians."

That seemed to make him think, you saw how his expression of determination turned to regret. Were you too harsh? "For now, please try to stay out of trouble. If there is an attack, refrain from joining the battle and if I tell you to flee, please heed my words and flee."

Because if it came to that, you'll stay back and fight so that you could give them time to flee. So when the time arrived you wouldn't be worried that Prince Luneth will ignore your order of fleeing and try to join the battle. "I'm sorry, the last thing I wanted is to become a burden." He looked rather depressed now, "These are my people and I just wanted to ensure their safety."

Prince Luneth seemed like someone who really cared for his people, not just a pretty Prince who cared about his own safety. You didn't personally know him, and you couldn't just grasp how he really is. Either way, that shouldn't really matter, your task is to make sure these people are taken to the Kingdoms that had been given scheduled to receive them and then, head back to ShinRa to wait for further orders.

"I am sure your people appreciate your concern, and perhaps you can join the battle but not after make sure that your father and sister are safe. Your people need someone from the Royal Family to be alive." The room was darker, so it was late now.

For now, it would be better to him to take some rest, and then you'll have to assign a few soldiers to guard the Prince. Unfortunately with how those men were able to travel and get into places without anyone noticing. So whomever was assigned to protect him would have to enter his room, he would have been a bit awkward but it was for his own safety.

"It's late, I'll have a few soldiers to take you to a one of the rooms of the castle. One closer to the entrance. Come," you motioned for him to follow you, he hesitated almost looked as if he was going to protest, but he just took a deep breath and nodded.