Chapter 6

[Name], it had been years that you heard your name. And now that you heard it again, your heart stopped only for it to beat wildly against your rob change. Your breathing spread up, making you light-headed.

The King must have realized you were having a slight panic attack, since he rushed to your side. But even with the attack, you pushed back sending the chair to the ground and you stumbled back.

"Hey, calm down." The man stopped since approaching you was making you panic a lot more.

You moved to the side, groaning out in pain. But before you stood up, you had to stop yourself since a wave of nausea began to flood your stomach. If you didn't calm down, you'll end up vomiting here.

You were on all fours, unable to stand up but you used the support to shut your eyes and tried to calm your breathing. It was now that you realized how much your hands and legs were trembling.

It took you a while to calm yourself down, but you managed. Then you stood up, and faced the King. "H-How did yo-"

"Take a seat." He offered while he did the same. Nodding, you placed back the chair and then sat down. "Four months ago a man arrived to the Kingdom, he was looking for his daughter." He explained,"When the program was created, I wanted any information that we could obtain from the trainees." They had asked you about that before, just a few months after you enlisted. Apparently to make sure that if anything had happened they'll have someone to contact, and well, to give them some sort of economic help."You mentioned that although you were an orphan, you had relatives. You offered us their names and their Village Name. So, when the man came looking for his daughter, I received the news from my own son who had heard the anguish in your father's voice. So I looked into it, and brought him to speak. When I mentioned his nephew, he was confused about what I was speaking about. He said he nor his wife had any other relatives. So, with the age you gave us and how he described you I realized what you had done."

You swallowed at his findings, feeling as if you were swallowing a rock. "I... Understand." Hardening your face, you nodded. "I understand what I did was a crime and I'll gladly accept the punishment."

He laughed but his laugh wasn't like he was mocking you. "You're wrong. There really is no law against women joining the army. If anything, I am surprised you managed to not only keep up with the training but also survive the war. However, although there is no law, I am sure that if a woman was officially enlisted, she would suffer discrimination."

"That's why you offered me that position?" Finally it made sense.

He nodded. "I thought that perhaps it would have been safer for you to keep your identity. But," he had not stopped smiling. The way he was looking at you was the same as the one he gave you when he was giving that speech. Like he was praying you, as if he was proud. "I want to see you grow and who knows, perhaps it is the time that with your achievements and progress you'll make every soldier see women differently and respect them. You are the door that can open many opportunities for other young girls like you." Pursing his lips, he shut his eyes and rubbed them and the open them again.."[Name],your group needs a leader."

You knew where this was going. "It only makes sense that the oldest takes that title."

"No, it only makes sense that the most skilled and strongest one takes that role. Which if I am not wrong, and as your mentors have made it clear, is you. I've noticed that you had not been very involved with the others, but that can change. Which leads to the main issue," at this he laughed, "I know it's a lot to take in but now that we're here it's better to inform you. I'm a couple of days your team will travel to ShinRa. This system has captured the attention of others, as you know, ShinRa has to what some believe, the best soldiers. But it is also not a secret that it's because they do some sort of experimentation. Putting that aside, they have a festival coming up and they want to test your skills. As much as I would like to refuse the request, it is on our best interest in you to go. Unfortunately, since the war was just over, there is plenty to do. I won't be ae to attend it but my son will take my place. You'll all depart, and although protection will be provided please look out for my son."

What a night, it hasn't bee that long since you returned from the war and you were bombarded with all of this information. As much as you hated the idea of being a team leader, you couldn't just say no. Not when the King had kept your secret and didn't even attempt to punish you for it. If anything, this man believed in you and that you could accomplish a lot more.

Letting out a sigh, you nodded. "You can count on me."

With a smile on his face he retired the bag with the money, and he pushed it towards you. When you tried to say something he shook his head. "You had not been allowed any allowance until now. This is so that you can buy whatever you need. The others will get the same. You may leave."

You didn't want to take the money but you really needed it to buy. With hesitation, you grabbed and as you stood up. "Thank you for everything."

King Regis rose to his feet, and he walked to stand to your side. He raised his arm and placed his hand on your shoulder. "Now go and make this Kingdom proud."