Chapter 27

She wasn't happy, she was furious! The princess passed back and forth in her room, she wasn't even allowed to leave the castle and when she did, it was with so many guards. And now she was told that she would be guarded to ShinRa Kingdom.

"Doing that will not solve your problems," the blue haired woman grumbled as she sat on the bed.

"They can't keep protecting me forever," the Princess almost gripped her hair in anger, "I can learn to protect myself. I just..."

"Kairi, your duty to the Kingdom is not only to defend it, but it is also to be safe. If the rest of your family dies and there is no one else to take possession of the throne than who will? You need to keep that in mind."

Princess Kairi looked down at the ground sadly, finally coming to a stop. "As much I would like to think that was true," she raised her gaze and there were tears really to run down her cheeks, "but it's not. Aqua," she walked closer to the other woman and sat down, as if she was just too tired. "If it ever came to that, I wouldn't take possession of it, I would have to get married and then...Someone else would take care of the Kingdom. Why can't I just...I don't want this life, why do I have to live like this?"

Aqua sighed, "we have all been given our roles and lives, you just happened to be a princess. We all have our duties, and yours is not the best, but the least filled with pain." Because wether Kairi wanted to admit it or not, she had a very good and happy life and a family that loved her. There were others who were very unfortunate, others who grew up with hunger, pain, and one way or another, they were forced to do something about it or they ended up dead.

Aqua didn't have a rough childhood, her parents used to work for the King and that guaranteed her three meals a day for her. It was also because of that that she became friends with Kairi, and well, as Aqua grew up, she ambitioned something better for her. That is other than being just a servant girl. Unfortunately, no matter how much she tried to enlist to the military, she wasn't given the opportunity. Not because she couldn't, she was very skilled, but because it was a society that was just dominated by men and of course,not was frowned upon for women to envision something like that. Eventually, the King had convinced her that she should train so that she could keep Kairi safe. That was her role, to keep Kairi safe, wherever the princess went, she went.

Even with that role, she had to give up a lot in exchange. At some extent, freedom, because she could be her guard and friend, but when she accepted that role she had to stay at the Princess' side. That's what Kairi didn't understand, that sometimes if people wanted to achieve their goals, they had to sacrifice something. Despite that, she was honored to have been given the task of protecting her, if it ever came to give her very own life in exchange, she would do it gladly.

She understood Kairi, of course she did. She also envisioned something else, she wanted to be free and do what she desired the most. She wanted to learn how to battle, just like Aqua, but she wasn't ready for something like that. There was a lot of injustices and discrimination that even Aqua had to face, despite given the task of protecting her since she was a teenager.

She wasn't trying to kill Kairi's dream, but she could not fuel it either, specially not now. The last thing she wanted was for her to encourage her and then to find out that she run away. She would just put herself at arms way, and maybe even killed.

"But..." Sounding defeated, Kairi began to sob. It was always like this for her, to try to convince her family only for her to end up defeated.

A soft knock made the two women stop, "Princess Kairy, your father would like to see you."

It was one of the maids who had informed her that she was being requested. Aqua stood up, encouraging her to do the same. "Come on, we shouldn't keep the King waiting."