Chapter 5

The voice itself was enough to make your head pound, and although you liked all the contents of your stomach, you felt how bile began to rise up your throat.

Instantly you bend over and began to vomit again, though this time it was just bile. You took deep breaths and a minute to regain your composure before you turned around.

You were expecting Alan, or even a soldier but it was none of those. Two males, who were just a couple of years older than you.

"Can I help you?" You asked totally trying to forget that there was a pile of your vomit just behind you, which would have to get cleaned by a servant tomorrow.

The blind male nodded with a friendly smile. "I'm Prompto, and this is Gladiolus, we are Noctis' friends. We just wanted to thank you for saving his life."

He then offered his hand for you to take, which you did. "I'm [M/N] and there really is no need to thank me. It is my duty to protect the King and his family," you wanted to add that his people as well, but what mattered now was the royal family.

"Even so, thank you. If you hadn't been there, he would have been killed so, thank you." Finally, Gladiolus spoke.

Nodding, you watched the two of them not knowing what else to say. "If I am not too forward, who was that man?"

The two of them glanced at each other as if deciding if they should say it or not. Prompto's smile disappeared but none of them said anything. "Not forward all," another voice added.
Another male joined the group. "My name is Ignis, another friend of Prince Noctis." Once he introduced himself, he continued. "Just like these two, I would like to offer my thanks for saving his."

"Really, there is no need to thank me."

"That man was the father of one of the children who enlisted. However, he died on the battlefield. As you can imagine, he wasn't very pleased about having his own child sent off to war."

The man's anger was understandable, you could only imagine how he felt to know his son was dead. It must have been excruciating knowing that they will no longer see their son.

What...Did you parents feel the same way when you left? Did they come to accept that maybe you were dead?

Shaking your head, you needed to focus at hand. "But that doesn't justify his actions. Prince Noctis isn't responsible for that boy's death."

Something in their eyes appeared at your words. Even if you died, you couldn't blame anyone but you. You made this choice, and there ought to be consequences. This was not the King's fault, or Prince Noctis, or anyone else. You had choices, many choices and you chose this. Why couldn't that man accept it too? His son made the choice to enlist knowing that death was a possibility.

"That's rather surprising coming from someone so... Young." Gladiolus spoke rather surprised.

Shaking your head, which brought a splitting headache. Well, sometimes you're just forced to grow up and mature fast.

"Anyway, the King would like to have a word with you. He should be waiting for you."

Then a pair of royal guards appeared behind the trio, your gaze traveled to them and then to the guards. "Of course."

You waited for them to walk, but they simply motioned for you to start walking. Then led you from another path to the inside of the castle. The castle can empty, but even if you had the whole venue for you to enjoy, you could only focus on why the King wanted to see you.

Eventually you came to a set of big doors, one of the guards announced your arrival and you were allowed to enter. The room had shelves of books and a big desk, which was occupied by the King.

Standing in front of him, you bowed and stood there waiting for him to speak. The man watched you carefully, and if you were not mistaken, a tiny smile reached his lips. "Take a seat."

As if you had given an order, you took a seat a cross from him. "You wanted to see me your majesty?"

"You saved my son." For once, he looked away from your gaze and down to the desk and then raised his gaze. "I cannot thank you enough for it." You opened your mouth to say something but he continued. "What I can do is, offer you this." He retrieved a bag of what you could only guess, was gold. It wasn't just a small bag, it was a pretty sizable one, not only that, but he also retrieved some documents. "This is the tittle of a h-"

Shaking you head, you pushed the bag back to him. "Forgive me for interrupting you, but there is no need for this. I saved prince Noctis because it is my duty and it's an honor to be able to serve you."

The man stopped trying to show you what those documents were and nodded. Though just like Noctis, he observed you with interest. "Very well then," he seemed to think before he spoke and it must have been something important because it took him a couple of minutes.

He Rose from his seat and headed to the door, only from him to open it and dismiss the guards. Once they were gone he shut the door and returned to his seat. "Do you know why that man wanted to kill my son?" When you nodded he let out a long sigh, and he tagged the palm of his hand across his face.

It was rather odd to see him like that, so exposed and so human like. "I understand him completely, I can only imagine how he must feel." Leaning back, he paused.

"But his son made a choice, he enlisted in his own accord knowing the risks." Like you told the Gladiolus and the other two, you repeated.

"That maybe true, but his father does not think the same. There are others who will attempt against my son's life, and that I cannot allow. Which is why I am making you an offer. I need someone who is highly skilled, and you have proven that in the battlefield. Unlike his friends who are well-trained, they are still too young and are not as experience when it comes to taking lives."

But you felt that if it came to saving their friends, they would most likely do it.

"They will hesitate, and a hesitation from their part means a higher risk of my son getting killed. You saved my son, you have proven to me that I can trust you with his life. My offer if for you to become his personal guard and protect him."

That's an offer that you couldn't refuse...You didn't WANT to refuse but you couldn't afford to get more attention than you can handle. That was a bigger opportunity to be found out.

" As tempting the offer is, I'll have to reject it. I am not fit for that tittle, and I probably won't be able to protect him like he should be protected." But that wasn't the truth, as a foot soldier, you'll have a decent life with minimum to no attention at all. This meant that you'll be able to live as a soldier until you died, you liked this...And if you accepted his offer...There would be a lot of more attention and the probably of your identity being discovered would be greater.

King Regis leaned back, and just for a few seconds he seemed to have stopped breathing. Or maybe he was breathing was so slow that you couldn't really tell if he was breathing or not. Then he let out a long sigh as he ran his fingers through his hair. That action felt as if was an act of exhaustion, and honestly, you wouldn't be surprised if he really was. That man has overworked himself in order to protect his people, which was why he was so loved by them. "Are you certain that is wise?"

Was he talking about the great opportunity you were letting slip through your fingers? "I am certain."

He observed you with interest,"I'll be more clear.Are you certain that this is the right choice...." This time he paused. "[Name]."