Chapter 1

“Listen,” you could detect the uncertainty in Zack's voice. His cheerful tone was gone and now he sounded serious in order to convey what he wanted to say.

Cloud glanced from Zack to you, when he locked eyes with you he looked away in what you guessed, guilt.

Despite his hesitation, you could already hear his words. “I…” Understood but no matter how much you tried to understand them, you couldn't. Of course you knew that it wasn’t possible for a girl to be accepted into SOLDIER, only men had that privilege. But how could you not feel like your heart was being broken to pieces? Your life wasn’t the greatest, your family was poor and staying will only guarantee your unhappiness and possibly your death.  These two, a fifteen year old  boys were the only thing that kept you going.

Zack was such a ray of sunshine, it didn’t matter how awefull your day was, he would show up and lighten your day with that bright smile of his.

Cloud, such a sweet young and caring boy. Whenever you were left with an emty aromach-which was quite often-, he would always carry some food whenever the three of you met.
The two of them were just as poor as you, which is probably why the three of you thrived for a lot more. To be able to see more of life and what it had to offer.

Many times they spoke of how they wanted to move to the ShinRa Kingdom, despite being far and their age. They were willing to risk their very own live as long as they reached their dreams.

They spoke so many times of their dream that eventually, it became yours as well. But, it did not matter that your long tresses were replaced by a shaved scalp. It didn’t matter that you had given up that torn and dirty dress for a pair of equally torn and dirty trousers and a shirt. It didn’t matter that you had given up your own identity in order to achieve your dreams.

It didn’t matter, because no mattered what you said, they would not take you with them. “[Name], please.” Zack begged as he grabbed your hands in his, trying to make you feel better.
The tears running down your cheeks were a sign that it didn’t matter what they said, you wouldn’t feel better. Silently, Cloud mentioned something to Zack which made him sigh and then his hands were no longer holding yours. “You’ll be safer here, please.”

No matter what they said, or their last hugs, you couldn’t stop crying. You couldn’t stop your heart from being torn into pieces as you watched your two best friends walk away, leaving the entrance of the village along with another group.

Maybe it wasn't the fact that they left without you that left you heartbroken. No, it was the fact that they had an idea of what would become of you if you stayed here. Your village was so poor and you'll either end up starving to death or end up in a brothel just like many young girls you had seen.

Swallowing your tears, you watched them disappear. They left you behind in order to achieve their dreams. But, you had your own dreams to accomplish and you refused to stay back and allow yourself to end up in that out of hell.

If there was one thing you had was determination, and you refused to just stand back and do nothing.

No, there was just one thing for you to do and that was for you to re-write your own destiny.