Chapter 3

Four years passed quicker than you ever thought was possible. It wasn't like you had the time to think anyway, you trained for over three years and then your whole team was sent to war. The only reason why they recruited kids to train was because they were at war with another kingdom, and they wanted fresh meat for the battlefield. Or at least, that what you all concluded.

They were not cruel enough to just send you off, of course, but even so. You had been terrified when you were sent off to fight and truly fight for your life. It had been a horrifying experience, but you swallowed that fear and used your training to survive.

Many of those who had trained died, some on their first battle. They had been too socked to react in time and fight back. Others simply died over the weeks which eventually turned to six months.

When the last battle finally ended, there were around five of you left. You couldn't even remember their names, the last thing you wanted was to get close to them and then see them die.

The rest of you five were not the same kids. If anything, the war served to shape you all to become stronger. Or at least, some of you.

You returned home, but when you were given the news that the war was over, some soldiers didn't finish the war completely unharmed.

No, from what you observed some lost their mind... And ended up depressed. That was the case for on of the younger soldiers, one of you comrades. He lost it, he tried to leave, walk away but once a soldier, you couldn't simply just walk away. But hopefully he would be let go and let him enjoy the rest of his life in peace. He wasn't meant for the battlefield like you all were.

He cried, pleading to let him go but instead, he was dragged to who knows where. Furrowing your eyebrows, you turned around to leave and rest for the night. You were tired, and the only thing you wanted was just sleep.

But when you turned around, you faced a broad chest. Not just anyone's, no, it was one of the kids around your age maybe a year or two older. His arms were crossed across his chest, and then be let out a long sigh. "That was Anthony, just in case you wanted to know." But at your lack of response, he glared instead. "But not like you cared right? You... You never bothered to get to know any of us. It was as..As..."

As if you thought of self better than them. You had been one of the best of the group, your instructor always praised how fast you had learned. "This is why." Finally, you replied, feeling your throat hurt as you tried to chance your voice. Your voice sounded raspy, like you hadn't used it for a very long time, which was particularly true. The male widened his eyes in surprise. You never spoke, unless ordered to do so. "We enlisted because it was either dying of hunger or dying at war. At the time it seemed easier to enlist, but we all knew the consequences. It's better like this, not to get attached that way..."

"It doesn't hurt to see them die if you don't know them." He finished for you. Now his eyes softened. "It was such a high price to pay, don't you think?"

You shrugged. "Not really, it wasn't like they forced to go to war. The King gave us the option to stay back, but we all had been filled with adrenaline that we accepted. It was our choice so it's a little to late for regrets."

The boy at your side rubbed his arm. "Yeah, I guess you're right." Then he stopped, making you curious and you turned around. "I never really introduced myself, did I?"

He did, when you enlisted but you just ignored him and a lot of the other boys who had been friendly. Just because you didn't get to know him, that didn't mean you didn't remember him. You could still remember him, and he sure as hell changed. He was very scrawny and thin, and once he got an adequate nutrition, his physique chanced. He was strong, and tall. His once very long and light brown hair, was styled short. His brown eyes were not the same naive and innocent eyes anymore. Now they had certain maturity in them, and for a good reason. Once they experience war, you're forced to mature.

He blushed, maybe embarrassed that you had been staring at him. Clearing his throat, he offered you his hand. "My name is Alan, and it's nice to well, get to know you [M/N]."

You just stared at him, wondering if it was wise to get close to anyone. Long ago you did just that, and things had worked just fine. But, if you had to be honest with yourself, there were times you felt... Lonely.

It was...It would be nice to have someone that you could trust, someone who could have your back. He began to lower his hand, but you grasped it as fast as you could. "It will be nice to get to know you."

A friendly smile reached his lips as he gripped your hand, which despite being calloused, it was way too small. "Well," once you pulled your hand away, he yawned, "we should probably go and take some rest."

The two of you headed to the new headquarters, which... Well, was different from what you were used to. Unlike the rest of the soldiers, you five didn't have a home not a family to go to, so they were providing room for you guys. This time you guys didn't have to sleep in the same room, so you had to share the room with someone else. This someone was Alan, the male was friendly, and he reminded you a little of Zack. Not his whole personality, but there was just a part of the way that Alan smiled that it reminded you of him.

Maybe it wasn't so bad to have new friends.