Chapter 56

- Chapter 56 -

It was early in the morning in Nottingham as the Sheriff, Allan and Gisborne stand by the sewer dump. A servant comes and pours rubbish down the opening.

"Robin’s favourite, this one. Leads from outside straight into the castle." Allan informed then as he traced the outside of the door with his finger.

"You know, a simple iron grille in there would fix that." Allan suggested as the Sheriff smirked inwardly slightly knowing he now had the upper hand on Robin Hood. Clicking his fingers a guard appeared beside him as he pointed towards the door.

"Bars on there." He instructed before Turing to Gisborne.

"Upgrade this young man to leather. He’s a hero. That idea is almost as good as emptying the strong room." He smirked as he pats Allan’s shoulder and chuckles before he turned to leave. Allan glanced at Guy as he was looking like a son to a father for a sign of him being proud as Gisborne gave him a simple nod and an evil smirk before turning and following after the Sheriff. Allan smirked to himself and was about to follow when Esme closes the door in front of him, pulling her curved jewelled knife from her hair and pointing it at him as his eyes widened.

"What are you doing?" She quietly and sternly growled as he held up his hands in surrender, his eyes never leaving the knife which was being held under his chin. He had always liked Esme and he knew that is anyone was going to understand him it would be her, though he also knew she would deliver on her threats.

"What? I’m not doing anything." He denied.

"You’re giving away all Robin’s secrets. You advised the Sheriff about the strong room." She hissed bitterly as Allan gulped at the fiery look in her eye.

"Look, I’m fighting for my life here, Esme." He whispered with a small plead as Esme holds her knife to Allan’s throat.

"Yes, you are. Stop now or I swear I will kill you." She threatened before the door opens suddenly behind them and Esme quickly hides the knife at her hip. She and Allan both step away from each other as Gisborne glances between them suspiciously, mainly towards Allan than Esme.

"Something wrong?" He asked Esme with a softer tone before he glared darkly at Allan.

"No."

"No." The both answered casually which made Gisborne relax slightly as he watched the two slightly.

"Just, er, meeting the locals." Allan smirked slightly as Gisborne looked back at Allan before pointing towards the door.

"In!" He growled as Allan did as he was told like a puppy with his tail between his legs. Gisborne softened his gaze offering Esme his arm as she smiled with a slight blush before accepting it as they made their way back into the castle.

"The Sheriff will be having a surprise in the courtyard in an hour or two. He would like everyone to be there" He informed her as she raised her eyebrow at him curious. The Sheriff? A surprise? Now this she had to see, and she guessed it would result around something the Sheriff did with the money that had once lived in the strong room.

*************

It was mid afternoon as I made my way down towards the courtyard for the Sheriff's surprise. A crowd formed in the lower levels of the courtyard as I noticed Robin and the gang hidden in the crowd as I made my way down the steps to reach him. A fanfare plays and the Sheriff steps out of the main doors with his arms outstretched with Allan and Guy standing behind him on either side.

"People! My dear people. We are gathered here today to witness the unveiling of my marvellous birdcage!" The Sheriff announced as I made my way over towards Robin as I casually stood beside him and watched as a guard pulls off the banner. The crowd “ooh” and “ah” as the Sheriff claps and laughs to the sight of a birdcage filled with sacks of money and small trunks.