Chapter 29

My father had been gone on business for a few days already. I had promised Guy I would stay at the castle until he returned, as I was finishing packing my portmanteau, as I was saddling my horse. I yawned slightly tired. I hadn't been sleeping that much, nightmares and flashbacks have been haunting me during the day and night.

I mounted my horse and made my way to Nottingham. When I reached the gates I noticed a woman, whom I remember slightly. I think she was Little John's wife at one point as she was pleading to the guard.

"Please, why won’t you let me through? He’s just a little boy." She begged him as the guard kept refusing as I rode past watching her desperate face.

"If I could just speak to the Sheriff. I just want to see my son." Her desperate voice begged once again as I frowned. Why would the Sheriff have arrested her son? But then a thought clicked into my head, Guy had been recently collecting tax for the King's annual duty. It was shameful what was being done in his name.

A stable boy came to collect my horse as I dismounted the creature. I glanced over to the tree and saw prisoners chained in the heat. I immediately recognized Little John as we shared eye contact for a brief moment, as I was making my way for the side steps. Little John glanced up at me in humiliation. Guy was coming down the side steps and stops when he sees me.

"It seems the Sheriff is determined to arrest half of Nottingham." I told him joking slightly, however I knew this wasn't much of a laughing matter. I saw a guard drag in another prisoner whipping him in the back, as I flinched. A vision of myself when I was younger watching my mother being tortured before me flashed as I caught my breath in my throat.

"Just reminding them of their obligations to the Sheriff and the King... and of their loyalty to their betters." Guy smirked as he went to pass me, but stops as I continues to protest.

"Well, if their obligations are higher and higher taxes, is it any wonder they need reminding of their loyalty? They have nothing to give and yet they are being punished." I questioned him hoping he would see this logic.

"Ah, Esme. I thought I heard your voice. Charming as ever, even in dissent." The Sheriff called out as he came down the side steps, I scowled quietly as the Sheriff looks at the prisoners. Little John smartly kept his head down. "Who is the one who took out the squad of soldier's singlehanded?"

"This one, sir." The guard pointed to Little John.

"Mm. Ugly brute." The Sheriff raised an eyebrow as he glanced at me. I saw Little John warily raises his eyes to scowl at the Sheriff.

"And yet, I feel I’ve seen him somewhere before." The Sheriff spoke almost in a daze as I made a small gulp worried for Little John. I watched as the Sheriff motions to his neck while looking at the guard, silently asking to see if there’s a tag. The guard pulls at Little John’s collar and Little John glares up at him.

"Do you think he looks like one of Robin Hood’s men, Esme?" The Sheriff asked me as I shrugged.

"Outlaws all look the same to me." I spoke plainly.

"No necklace, sir." The guard informed as the Sheriff was slightly surprised.

"Obviously just a common brute…" The Sheriff began as Little John looks up at the Sheriff under his brows.

"Certainly looks wild enough, though. Not so tough now, are we, eh, wild man? Certainly beat some civilization into you. Roll on tomorrow’s entertainments." The Sheriff chuckled as he began to stroll away as I frowned.

"Entertainments?" I questioned slightly concerned what in the Sheriff's sick mind he had planned now.

"Festival of Pain! And throw that brute into the dungeons, soften him up." The sheriff shouted out as I watched as Little John glares at the Sheriff, before he is dragged off. I stormed on after Guy and the Sheriff in to the Great Hall. I scolded at Guy for supporting the Sheriff ’s festival. The Sheriff stands near the table behind us.

"You cannot seriously countenance such cruelty." I protested.

"Esme..." Guy's soft admonishing voice began but I cut him off.

"It is not punishment, it is barbaric!" I snapped. Guy and the Sheriff were both surprised by my outburst. I closed my eyes and sighed glancing at the floor. My head was pounding, as I could almost hear my mother's screams in my head as I winced slightly. I glanced up to see the Sheriff stepping towards me with his goblet.

"Delicious, is it not, hm? There is an air of poetry about it, the poetry of pain." The Sheriff pokes Gisborne’s shoulder and chuckles as I had to turn my head away from the Sheriff and stands with my head held high.

"Oh, our peasant’s advocate seems rather upset with me, Gisborne. Shh. Drip, drip, drip. I can hear her heart bleed from here." He teased as I was furious, but I had to keep my temper in check. The Sheriff grabbed my chin and turned my head to face him.

"Fear humbles even the most rebellious spirit, my dear. Robin Hood himself will come to fear me one day, in time. Don’t [taps my nose with his finger] doubt it." He warned as I glared at him as he chuckled before drinking another gulp of his wine. The Sheriff goes over to the table which is loaded with sacks of coins. Guy follows as well as myself, keeping a discreet distance behind.

"My lord, do not forget the wagon with the King’s duty leaves for London tomorrow." Guy informed him.

"That is your responsibility, Gisborne. Just make sure it’s secure. Take the whole garrison if needs be. I would hate to be in your shoes if all this fell into outlaws’ hands. Especially after all the trouble we went to collecting it." The Sheriff picks up a handful of coins and lets it trickle back down as he speaks.

"Is the castle guard sufficient for you entertainments?" Guy asked him.

"No, take all you need. I presume you are going to accompany the cart personally?" The Sheriff questioned.

"I will take the wagon as far as the Houghton crossroads The Sheriff turns away. From there two garrisons from Mansfield will be escorting it as far as London." Guy explained as I saw how the Sheriff was soon becoming bored.

"La-di-da-di-da." He sang as he walked out of the room.

"Only a fool would attack against such odds." Guy smirked to himself as he left. Leaving me left to pondering how I will pass on this information to Robin. I left the main hall walking fast and casual to my chamber where I found a lock pick. I smiled, I was going to help Little John get out of there, and the boy as well. I wouldn't let a poor boy experience torture. Not like I did when I was younger….