Chapter 84

- Chapter 84 -

"What are you doing in the castle?" I warned him quickly turning around to find Guy coming out from the shadows of my room with his sword drawn towards me. I removed my own sword and threw it on the bed before turning back to him to see the conflict in his eyes.

"Can I trust you?" He questioned me as I rolled my eyes.

"Your not in the dungeons are you?" I questioned as he lowered his sword. It was true, if I meant to have him harmed the guards would have been alarmed by now. I watched him closely as he back up towards my chamber door and locked the handle in place before his tensed shoulders seemed to relax. I took this opportunity to get a good look at him. His eyes were weary and his face was dirty and tired. He was still wearing the same clothing I last saw him in which was a loose black shirt and his leather pants and boots.

"Guy what are you doing here?" I whispered as he ran a hand through his hair. We both jumped when a knock came to my door as I saw him growl and raise the sword to my throat.

"I'll run you through if you give me away" He warned from behind me as I slowly unlocked the door. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye as the tip of the blade was pressed against my back as I slowly opened my chamber door just wide enough for me to stick my head out the door. I saw a young serving boy holding out a plate of cheese, meat and bread in one hand and the other balanced a goblet and jug of wine.

Slowly I took them from his hands taking him by surprise before I gave one nod at the boy before he dashed off down the corridor. Guy shut the door behind me as he eyed the food in my hands as I placed them on the desk in my chambers.

"Eat. I'm not hungry" I informed him as he eyed the plate before nodding and sitting in the chair and slowly eating the meat and bread. I poured him a full goblet of wine before handing it too him as he eagerly drank from the cup.

"The King is he?" He questioned quietly as I shook my head in a scoff.

"No, he is very much alive in the Holy Land" I informed as his hand tightened on the goblet before he looked up at me.

"John cannot be crowned King" He snapped as I nodded in agreement.

"His coronation is in the morning..." I trailed as Guy rubbed his face and the back of his neck. I noticed the tension in his shoulders as I slowly got to my feet and placed my hands on his back causing him to jump. I squeezed my hands on his shoulders to let him relax as I slowly began to rub out the knots that had built up in his back as he sighed with contempt. He happily closed his eyes and let his neck roll back as I wanted nothing more than to place a delicate kiss on his inviting lips.

"Promise me Guy you will be away from the coronation tomorrow" I whispered, my voice begging him as he shook his head.

"I can't let him be King! Her death can't be in vain" He growled as I frowned slightly.

"Whose?" I asked him, as his face was suddenly grief stricken.

"Esme. The love of my life" He whispered as I felt the leather band around my neck that held my engagement ring grow heavier. I let my fingers trail up his neck and tangle gently in his hair before making there way back down to his shoulders.

"Guy I need to tell you something" I whispered as the sound of soft snores reached my ears as I chuckled. He looked so peaceful and calm asleep in the chair as I knelt down beside him and let my fingers trail over his cheek.

"I love you Guy" I whisper placing a gentle kiss on his lips which caused him to sigh happily and let a small smile slip on his face.

When I awoke the next morning I knew I had over slept by the height of the sun in the sky. I quickly pulled the covers away from my body and changed into fresh clothing. I had noticed that Guy had left I was certain he left at some point in the night, not wanting to wake me as I quickly tightened my mask over my eyes and dashed out from my chambers. I was late for the Prince's coronation and I knew I would never hear the end of it. I just hoped that Robin had come up with a plan to prevent the coronation from taking place.