Chapter 42

- Chapter 42 -

It had been a good two weeks since I last saw Robin. My wounds had fully healed and my friendship with Guy puzzled me. Whenever he was with the Sheriff he seemed to be hateful and bitter. Though often when we were alone which wasn't often he would remain the same way yet his eyes would show compassion and love. He confused me though I knew my feelings for him were true, I wasn't going to deny it.

The Sheriff and Guy had just installed a new strong room to hold all the money for the black knights, and it seemed that Robin knew exactly when to come hunting for information. I told him all I could get without being obvious as I knew he was going to break into it tonight. It was in the middle of night when I awoke to a loud bell and the sound of dogs making me jump.

"Robin" I whispered as I knew they must have failed. Slipping on a dressing gown and tying it around my waist I opened my door only to hug body against the cold bite.

"What's going on?" I asked one of the soldiers who guarded outside my door.

"Nothing my Lady" He instructed as I saw Guy run past my door, we both shared eye contact but he refused to say anything as I closed my door behind me slowly. I smirked slightly; it was funny seeing the castle in an uproar. I don’t remember falling asleep again but when I woke up it was to a knock on the door.

"Enter" I responded sleepily as my Sarah walked in.

"Morning my lady. The Sheriff has asked for you in the Great Hall" She instructed me as I nodded. I brushed the sleep from my eyes and got dressed in an elegant green gown before I made my towards the great hall. I was surprised however to find the room filled with various casino games. I watched as people began doing the last-minute preparations as a small table laden with food and drink is centered in front of the balcony and above it hangs a square ring of flaming pipe. At the opposite end of the room stands a craps table. Near the foot of the stairs is a skittles table. The Sheriff pokes the ears of the roast piglet with the dice hook for the craps table, then turns around and addresses the servants.

"Good. Very good." He informed them as I slowly and cautiously walked down the stairs seeing the chaos.

"Ah, Lady Esme. There you are. Now, our guest is due to arrive very shortly…" He began as I frowned.

"Guest?" I questioned as I stood before the Sheriff placing my hands on my hips, disgruntled at being summoned.

"Yes a German Count whatever his name it and I’d like you to... be a friend to him. I’d like you to make him feel that his every desire is yours to obey." He smirked as I looked horrified.

"Every desire?" I asked shocked at the implication he was asking of me. I was a lady not some lap dog!

"Mm. Show him a good time. What do you think, Gisborne?" He chuckled as he walked behind me, moving my elbow out of his way

"Good idea." Guy smirked as he briefly raised his eyebrow as I looked at him horrified. How could he? Did he really think that low of me? I wasn't some sort of piece of meat to be passed around when they pleased!

"No!" I growled defiantly as the Sheriff raised an eyebrow. I guess he didn't think I would be so stubborn to refuse him. HA!

"Oh, yes, you will, missy. How’s your father, so to speak?" He hissed in my ear making me flinch. I felt guilty and I hated this leverage over me. I loved my father and I refuse to let the Sheriff harm him.

"What if he sees my heart isn't in it?" I quizzed as Guy scoffed making me turn to him.

"Well, then pretend. Deception comes easily enough to you." He snarled as I was taken aback by his attitude. I didn't care to show how his words wounded me as his eyes dropped from mine as did the smirk on his face.