Chapter 30

I was quietly walking down the north exterior corridor, making sure it was all clear as I head for the door, lock pick in hand, and checks down the other corridor for guards. I open the door and the sergeant silently comes up behind her.

"Boo! My lady." He teased as I jumped slightly, hiding my lock pick behind me. I tried to hide my shock and began stammering my excuse for being here.

"The prisoners. I heard there were families down there, children. Do they have enough food and water?" I asked him straightening my back as he just raised his eyebrow. As if what I was asking was amusing.

"This is not some soft inn for their pleasure, my lady."

"That is no reason to ill treat them. A bit excitedly: Actually, I thought I might be able to see the wild man. I’m rather intrigued." I told him honestly in a whisper as if I was afraid to be overheard. He thought for a quick moment.

"No. Can’t let you in. Sorry." He apologized stubbornly before the sergeant goes through the door and closes it behind him. I growled slightly as I began tapping the pick in my palm, thinking, when I hear Guy's voice becoming louder. I gulped, as I quickly grabbed the pick and slipped it into the candlestick. As I felt his hand on my arm causing me to turn around.

"Esme?" He asked confused on why I was down here.

"Guy. I was just looking for my portmanteau. I-I don’t know whether they...took it from the horse already or... where—" I began stammering as he smirked slightly.

"I will have it brought to your room. I’m glad you decided to stay. I didn’t like to think of you all alone at Knighton Hall with your father away." He smiled interrupting slightly which I was glad for as I forced a smile on my lips.

"May I pass?" I asked him as he stepped aside. I took this time and made my way quickly but elegantly down the hall towards the main doors to head back to my chamber. I could hear Guy talking from behind probably talking to a soldier as I made it to my room. I sat down at my desk in my room and pulled out a piece of parchment and began writing with the ink in my quill. There was a knock on my door as I didn't look up as I blew on my letter and began rolling it up.

"Come in!" I called as Guy entered with a soldier carrying my portmanteau.

"Esme, your things.…Over there." He pointed to the soldier as he carried the portmanteau past the bed. He loudly drops the bags at my feet, causing me to look up slightly surprised from the loud sound.

"Careful, you clumsy oaf !" Guy snarled. I gasped slightly as I realized that the soldier dressed up was actually Robin. Robin lowers his head, with a “be careful and downplay it” look.

"Esme?" Guy asked as Robin mouths a shh! I quickly leant around Robin to look at Guy, struggling to hide my delight in my eyes.

"I am quite well." I informed him before I turned back to Robin: "Could you put them over there, by the bed?" I asked him smirking as Robin winks and complies making me roll my eyes at his impudence and trying to hide my smile from Guy. Robin dumps my bags next to Gisborne and starts to pass him towards the door.