Chapter 37

Esme lies as they left her on the rock slab as Little John leads the gang in with a torch. They stop a few paces from her just seeing her lie there. Will and Allan both gulped and tried to bury the guilt in their stomachs as Will drew in a few heavy breaths.

"We must take her to Knighton Hall, to her father." Robin spoke quietly as his voice began breaking as he stands staring at Esme with tears in his eyes.

"John, I want you to... Djaq, prepare her body." Robin starts as he's trying not to break down. Everyone remained silent and in their place in the line as Robin takes a step towards Esme.

"Will, I need you to make... I need you to make a coffin." Robin takes in an audible breath as Little John passes behind him and puts his arm round his shoulders.

"Shhh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh. In good time. First...we say goodbye." Little John comforts as he turns to face Esme.

"She was a good woman. Kind and considerate. She was family….She was like a sister I never had…..she always put others first…" Will spoke first as a tear fell down his cheek as Much went next nodding his head.

"Good? Oh, she was... She was..." He struggled to say anything other than that due to the lump growing in his throat as Allan took a step beside Much.

"She was all right... Yeah." He whispered as Little John went next tears brimming in his eyes.

"Her... we liked."

"Her we loved. Her I loved... I loved her and I never told her." Robin stated upset he never got to finally say it.

"Well, she knew. We all knew. "Much spoke as he continued to sniff. Allan shifts his feet, frowning at Esme as Much sniffs again and Allan takes a step forwards, staring at her.

"I’m not being funny, right? She’s breathing." Allan pointed out as he turns to Robin. Robin rolls his eyes, thinking Allan has a bad joke going, as Little John glances at Esme, frowning. Allan, sensing their skepticism, earnestly holds an arm out to her and Little John takes the torch over. Will stares at her, hardly daring to hope. Robin and Much remain still as Djaq holds her sword under Esme’s nose, and sees her breath condense on the cold metal.

"On the blade. She is breathing." Djaq gasped surprised as they all hurried to her side.

"What?"

"The physician’s draught. I have heard of this before. Hemlock. Too much and the body freezes.....the breathing stops. But if one is young and strong, the body fights back. Comes back from the dead!" Djaq cried out happily as she started opening Esme’s eyes, one at a time, to check her pupils as Little John leans over to look. Little John and Much beamed brightly with smiles as Will was still in shock slightly with tears falling down his face as Robin started rubbing Esme's hoping to glance into her eyes once more.

"Esme? Esme?" He whispered out as Esme weakly opens her eyes causing them all to laugh and cry with relief.

"Where have I been?" She asked weakly as he smiled brightly down at her.

"I don’t know... but I’m glad you’re back!" He laughed kissing her forehead as she let her eyes close to sleep a little longer. This time actually sleeping.

*************

The next time I woke up I was in Little John's arms as I felt myself being placed in the comforts of bed as I snuggled into the sheets lightly. I noticed Djaq pulls the blankets over me as my father leans over anxiously from the doorway. I gave a weak smile towards the gang as I yawned letting their words blur in my ears as my eyes drooped slightly.