Chapter 31

I waited an hour before I slowly snuck through the secret passages of the castle. I came into the darkness of the crowded dungeons where I saw Little John in his cell. I stayed in the shadow as they shoved his wife Alice into the same cell as her son and Luke the bow maker. Holding my breath I scanned the hall to see only the illuminated candlelight.

"John" I whispered as all heads perked up in my direction as he gasped and leant against the bar door as I ran over, constantly ensuring I wouldn't be spotted.

"Lady Esme! You can't be here!" He hissed as I rolled my eyes.

"I will try everything I can to ensure your family doesn't endure the punishment tomorrow." I whispered urgently as his eyes pleaded for help for his loved ones; however we both knew our hope maybe in vain.

"Robin has a plan…."I began before he gave me that your-kidding-me look as I scoffed."Okay, he has half a plan…..But I will talk to Gisborne tonight. I will come back when I have more information." I told as the sound of squeaking doors opening rung through causing my breath to catch in my throat.

"Thank you…..Hide!" He hissed as I gave his hand a quick squeeze before dashing to the other side of the room just in time. I drew a deep breath hiding in the shadows and sneaking through the secret passages before I found myself once again in my room. I dashed to my mirror, fixed my hair and straightened my dress before I made my way down to the dining room. One of the guards opened the door for me as I slowly walked in to find the Sheriff smiling evilly chatting about tomorrow and Guy, bored, playing with his goblet. They both glanced up as I entered the room, as Guy stood up smiling and pulled out my chair for me.

Giving a small smile I sat down beside him as I could see the Sheriff smirk making me slightly uncomfortable. Servant brought plates of food of cheese, meats and fruits as I sipped on my wine. I kept my discomfort of the Sheriff's manners to myself and kept my eyes on my plate and didn't speak unless I was spoken too. I hated keeping up my manners, my rebellious spirit detested every second of it. At one point I could see the Sheriff making Guy angry and frustrated as he gripped the side of his chair.

Slowly and unseen I placed my hand over his leather glove and gave it a gentle squeeze. His body stiffened at first before he caressed my hand with his thumb, I saw him relax into his chair as a small smile landed on my lips. I couldn’t hide it and I felt feelings bubble within in me as I wondered would marrying him be so bad? Yes! Yes it would! He's a murderer, yet that soft side captured me as I slowly wondered what Robin would think?

"Well I fancy some beauty sleep for tomorrow's entertainment" The Sheriff snickered as I felt my back straighten as Guy gently squeezed my hand as we stood up as he left the room. It grew quiet between us as I sat back down and watched as Guy refilled his goblet of wine and lent against the chair like throne that the Sheriff constantly occupied.

"I have a request to ask of you……and the Sheriff" I slowly began as his head perked up interested.

"Anything" He whispered lovingly as I hung my head and played with my fingers.

"The boy from Locksley.  The one with the bow maker………spare him please" I begged glancing up at him as his body stiffened.

"Esme, you know the Sheriff wants to make an example of them…." He began sighing deeply before I cut him off by the loud screech of my chair.

"But surely the boy innocent or not doesn't deserve torture." I pleaded, I heard my voice cracking slightly at the end as I know he noticed. Placing his cup on the table he drew closer towards me until he stood directly in front of me. I kept my eyes focused on the leather of his jacket and refused to meet him in the eyes.