Chapter 67

- Chapter 67 -

I was casually sitting on my bed reading a book when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." I called out absently as Guy enters with a smile on his face. Smiling back I placed a piece of string on the page so I wouldn't lose it before getting up and making my way towards him as he embraced me gently.

"Today is the fourteenth of October, Robin Hood's birthday." He whispered in my ear.

"It is." I spoke absently loving the feeling of his embrace before I paused and let him go looking at him as it sunk in.

"It is?" I questioned slightly panicked as I saw he was conscious of my reaction.

"Esme.... Apart from your escapades as the Nightwatchman, is there anything else that you'd like to tell me?" He asks me running a hand down my cheek and gently caressing my neck.

"No." I breathed out as he smiled happily with my answer.

"Good. Right, well, I came to tell you that I'm going away." He informed me as my heart went heavy and my smile dropped.

"Away? Where?" I questioned saddened to know he was leaving me behind in this castle.

"I cannot say. But when I return, things will be different. Better. For me. Better for us." He promised, his voice slightly eager as I narrowed my eyes at him cautious.

"Guy, what's going on?" I questioned him suspiciously.

"Esme, I will not be here to supervise you. I must have your assurance that the Nightwatchman is finished." He begged.

"You have my word." I promised as he kissed my knuckled before leaving my chambers. I tried returning to my book but I was unable to focus, as Guy's words kept ringing over and over in my head. Where was he going? How long would he be away for? And why would everything be better for us when he returns?

Huffing in frustration I decide to talk a walk around the castle for fresh air and to clear my mind. But when I drew closer to the courtyard I saw Allan with a knapsack slung over his shoulder, walking from the town through the gate. Watching what's happening in the courtyard I see Allan puts the bag in the coach, which has iron sides, a wire mesh roof, and is lined with furs. He notices my questioning face  of "What's going on?" and sighs.

"Keep an eye on that bag, yeah?" He instructed to a solider before jogging over towards me.

"We're going to Portsmouth. That's all I know, Esme, all right? And you didn't get that from me, either." He whispered as we stood secluded in the north corridor.

"You know what this means?" I question him with a gulp.

"No."

"The King. They must be expecting the King to land in Portsmouth!" I hiss at him as though he hadn't been paying attention to the situations around him as he just rolls his eyes at me.

"It could mean anything for all I know."

"That's not good enough, Allan! Now what if it is the King? You know full well what they'll do to him when he arrives." I snap at him as he leans against the wall and folds his arms over his chest.

"Well, it's not my call, is it? Look, I'm just the whipping boy around here. The packing boy." I scoff at his pathetic excuse.

"Look, if you go along with treason, then you are committing treason." I tried reasoning with him.

"Rubbish!" He snapped before he turned and left as I watch him go I shake my head and sigh. If he wouldn't help me then Robin will. I was able to escape from the castle and make my way towards the camp calling out his name, only to see the camp empty.