Chapter 33

It was early the next morning, I had hardly slept with the thought of the King's return and my marriage to Guy. I hated to admit it however I knew I felt something for him and what didn’t help was, knowing he loved me. It only made me guilty and even a second thought of the marriage bed made me shudder as I gagged slightly. I was slowly practicing sword maneuvers against a large post. I heard the sound of crunching ground growing louder as I thought it was my father walking towards me.

"I would prefer if you did not visit my house....... until it is mine again." Robin called out as I stop and lets the sword swing from my hand as I turned to see Robin strolling towards me holding a long, thin stick behind his neck with both hands. I growled and looked away and went back to my post as I swung the sword once more.

"Guy wanted to show me my future fortune as Lady Gisborne." I informed him blankly.

"And what? He showed you some trinkets? Made you agree to go along with the wedding?" He spoke scornfully as I knew he was trying to ridicule me as he walked around me. Making me growl, sometimes I hated him when he was defensive and difficult.

"You know I have no choice. I promised to marry him when the King returned." I snapped as I absently hit the post with the sword, ambivalently.

"Under duress." Robin stated as I glared at him. What did he want? What was the point of this? To make me even more miserable about marrying Guy, cause it's working!

"Yes, under duress. Proving my loyalty to save my life and my father’s." I spoke flatly as I slammed my hand against the post in frustration. I took in deep breaths to control my anger that was beginning to fuse as he seemed to know exactly what to say to make me want to strangle him.

"A promise made under duress is no promise at all." He demanded leaning against the stick with his hands as his eyes watched my every move. Rolling my eyes I turned to give him my full attention.

"And what, you think I should just back out and Guy will smile and release me? If he knew I betrayed him, if he knew I was the Nightwatchman, he would lash out, and not just at me. At my father." I growled dangerously as Robin steps away, flustered. I sighed and rubbed my forehead letting my shoulder shrug as Robin turns his head with a grimace of exasperation and walks off past her. I watch him go, then shrugs and lifts her sword at the post.

"Why do you always do this?" Robin complained as I dug my sword into the ground and turned to him with my hands on my hips.

"What?"

"Use your father as an excuse for doing nothing." He whined like a five year old as I blew out a huff.

"Because my father needs me!" I demanded as he knew it was obvious before he stalked towards me, we were close but we were so angry and annoyed with each other I'm glad he didn’t take it romantically.

"And you need him! Because without him, you would have to make a choice." He spat as flinched slightly and glared up at him.

"Oh, very well then. I am making a choice. I’m choosing to marry Gisborne." I stated weakly, my confidence was beginning to drop as he pulled away and I watched as Robin rolls his eyes.

"Is that what you want me to say?" I asked upset as I saw him look slightly wounded for causing me distress.

"I will deal with this." He promise me as he took hold behind my neck making me look at him as could feel tears bubble in my eyes.

"How?" I whispered my voice breaking.

"I will expose him as the liar and the traitor that he is. Then you will not have to marry him." He informed as I rolled my eyes and shoved him away. I wouldn't allow my hopes to be brought up only to have them brought crumbling down, as I knew he couldn’t save me.