Chapter 11

As I was getting myself ready for the Sheriff's Fair in my elegant white dress, I sighed, redoing my hair neatly. I sat on the edge of my bed wondering, could Robin be having a better day than I am? My father finding out I am the Nightwatchman and not supporting me or the fact I have to be Guy's personal guest today at the Fair? Then I have to wonder what else could get worse today…..

*************

Back in Sherwood Forest, Will scrambles down the hill towards the camp where everyone was just finished with their breakfast.

"The trap worked! We caught one!" Will shouted out pleased as Robin looks at him, suddenly serious.

"A cart! Let’s go! Let’s go!" They all get to their feet and run after Will. Will lead them all to the great north road, where Brooker, a slave dealer, is trying in vain to lift the wagon’s front wheel out of a shallow hole as the gang silently surround him. Allan faces him across the wagon with a drawn bow.

"Heap! Rubbish heap! And you! Points to the horse. Rubbish heap!" Brooker shouted out in frustration. Robin, with no weapon in hand, walks deftly down the length of a fallen tree to stand near him as Much steps up beside him with a drawn bow. As Brooker gives up on the wagon, he notices the gang closing in. He reaches under the seat for his purse. Robin nods at Will, who takes a step forward. Brooker throws the purse down on the ground in front of Robin.

"Here. It’s all I have of value. Take it!" Brooker claimed as Robin looks at Much and nods at the purse. Much jumps down to get it and looks inside as Allan lowers his bow. Much holds up a glass lens from the purse. Robin looks at it curiously.

"Pretty! Not very appetizing." Much stated as he kept looking at it, before they all hear a muffled moan. Brooker lays his head back, knowing his bluff has been ruined. Robin raised an eyebrow towards Brooker who gave a quick gulp.

"Livestock?" Robin questioned.

"Take one. And let me on me way." Brooker told Robin as Robin jumps down and goes over to the wagon.

"They’ll work for you. They understand simple commands." He continued as Robin pulls back the canvas to reveal a boy’s face. The gang all stare incredulously at the men in the wagon. "New men for the Sheriff ’s mine." Brooker finished as Robin deep down was horrified that people still were in business for trading slaves.

"Slaves?" Much asked disgusted as he stares at the wagon. Robin nods his head towards Little John and the others as they move Brooker's wagon off the road. Brooker sits against a tree, happily pulling meat off a bone with his teeth. Little John sits near him, watching. Robin leans against a trunk opposite him, watching him, as Allan and Much, who is leaning against the same tree, stare at the slaves. Will stands next to the wagon, also staring.

"I never thought I’d see this again. Outrageous. A disgrace. Trading people." Much hissed to Allan who just shrugged. He had never seen slave trading before, so it didn't have a massive impact on him like it did to Robin and Much. Robin walks over to Brooker.

"Would you like some more wine?" Robin asked feigning pleasantness as Brooker smiles, still chewing his food, takes the flask and drinks. Little John watches them with a frown. Robin drops his phony smile and walks over to face Allan and Much. They talk quietly.

"I’m not being funny, but... you brought him here for a picnic?" Allan hissed slightly annoyed with Robin as Robin placed his hands on his hips before glancing back at the wagon.

"We need him. He’s our way into the mine." Robin whispered as Allan still didn’t understand the plan.

"There is no way into the mine." Much reminded Robin sternly.