Chapter 45

- Chapter 45 -

After the Count 'vanished' in the night leaving the Sheriff stuck and broke, it grew quiet in the castle. I didn't like quiet; it meant something was brewing in the shadows. I kept my eyes and ears open, I used passage ways in the castle to try and eavesdrop on the conversations between Guy and the Sheriff. I got no luck. I must admit Guy has been trying to make conversation with me, I can see it. He goes to say anything then changes his mind and stays clear of me.

I would prefer his scowls if it meant he looked at me or talked to me even if it was with disgust or disdain. Robin and I created a way to communicate with each other, not to obvious but it worked. He would send an arrow to the castle or a message if he needed me any other day other than the usual Wednesday.

Since Wednesday was market day the markets were crowded the most, meaning our encounters could go unnoticed. I would obviously have a guard follow me and then either I would send him off to be me something or the gang created a distraction long enough for us to talk. As the weeks grew uneventful and boring I noticed that when the Sheriff and Guy came back from Locksley, it's a weird thing to notice but they smelled of metal.

It was unusual something I wasn't used to. The Sheriff always jumped for glee as though he had a trick up his sleeve. I didn't like it, though I played innocent and a perfect lady in their eyes despite being under house arrest. I knew something wasn't right the Sheriff is never happy, I mean not like this. It's beginning to scare me as I soon figured out why.

Another trick Robin and the gang had created was sending me letters. I know risky, but it was coded. Robin wrote with his fancy writing and would sign it as the Count. We did this as a precaution incase either Guy or the Sheriff got nosy and decided to try and read it. Though every time the letter arrives and the Sheriff immediately goes to see who wrote to me. He snarls and would give me the 'damned letter' and be done with it.

"My Lady?" A knock came from behind my door as I opened it slightly shocked to see Guy leaning against the stone, his hair a mess with his eyes watching me. I gulped and cannot deny how attractive he looked as I saw the letter in his hands making me sigh and scowl as he held it up for me.

"Seems the Count fancies you" He snarled as I rolled my eyes and reluctantly took it from him.

"I'd wish he'd stop!" I muttered as I saw Guy watching me closely.

"You would think he would get the message when I never reply" I gave a weak smile at the joke as he smirked leaning in slightly. I sucked in a breath feeling his warm breath on my face before he turned to leave, leaving me frozen in my doorway. Blushing a deep red I closed it quickly and unsealed the letter. I went over beside the fireplace and hovered it over the heat as I saw the real message begin to appear through the paper.

Esme,

Gisborne and the Sheriff have been developing a new armor of some sort. It's not use against arrows and if the Sheriff can produce hundreds of this type or armor then the Black Knights will be in stoppable. Unfortunately a group of young boys where playing in the forest when Gisborne was testing out the new metal. My gang and I went to rescue them only to have them still hold captive one of the young boys in Locksley. If I don't return the rocks in which creates the metal by tomorrow they will kill him in cold blood. Keep an eye out for my signal for the market.

Robin.

I quickly threw the letter into the fire and watched it burn into ash knowing that the letter was destroyed. Rubbing my hands together I drew out a deep breath. The poor boy, we have to do something to prevent the knights from getting the armor and save his life. I ran a hand through my hair before sighing and heading towards my father's chambers.