Chapter 50

- Chapter 50 -

For past week I had been sneaking throughout the castle eavesdropping on Guy and the Sheriff. I did feel bad when I was spying on Guy, it made my heart heavy even though I knew this was to help the King. They had several meetings in which I had to skillfully hide behind tapestries and in the walls to hear the route of the messenger. I was taking a massive risk and I knew that if I made the wrong noise or breathed at the wrong moment I could have been found out and probably hung to the Sheriff's satisfaction.

When I was positive of the day he was to be arriving I warned Robin and letting him know about he was to arrive by the North Road. I ensured that I positioned myself near the courtyard to see if was to arrive, though I was pretty confident I wouldn't see him. My smirk was dropped when I hear the sound of a coach pulling into the courtyard. Frowning I quickly hold my green dress up slightly as I dash up a flight of stairs to watch from the cloister.

"What is Robin thinking" I muttered underneath my breath as I saw Guy heading down the main steps towards the coach first with the Sheriff paused by the main door.

"Now, Henry. Henry of Lewes. Welcome to my—" The Sheriff began as he started to make his way down the stairs, as I pressed myself against the wall slightly to ensure I remained out of view only to see Henry fall to the floor of the coach, moaning faintly, wearing only one sleeve of chain mail on his left arm.

"Get me my physician." The Sheriff shouted as I saw him glare at Guy as I watched as Guy turned giving orders to his soldiers whilst I frowned and quickly disappearing as I noticed the Sheriff turning around, looking wide-eyed around the courtyard, furious. I needed to talk to Robin as I made my way towards the marketplace with my dress trailing behind me slightly.

I was trying hard not to make it obvious I was looking for him until I noticed that Robin is dressed as a lame man wearing a stained shirt and a loosely woven cloth as a cloak. He has a crooked, tall walking stick in his right hand and a wooden bowl in his left. He limps along behind me, as I don't look back as we whisper and walk through town.

"Why did you let the messenger through?" I questioned puzzled.

"Has he talked?" Robin asked as I rolled my eyes, trust that, that is all Robin care about at this current moment.

"No, not yet. He was taken ill. Look, Robin, I took a risk to find out his route, and you still let him through." I informed slightly uncomfortable that I had risked my own neck for nothing and that the information I was giving him wasn't being put to use.

"You can’t go back into the castle."

"What?"

"You told me he’d travel by the North Road."

"Yes." I whispered confused as to where this conversation was going.

"And he didn't. Esme, I think I have a spy in my gang." He whispered as I stopped my mouth forming and 'O', slightly wide eyed before he glanced over his shoulder and gently pushed me forward to keep walking.

"What are you going to do?" I inquired as Robin drops the bowl and pulls me into a marketplace stall.

"I'll silence Henry..... and then I'll find the traitor in my own camp and silence him." Robin whispers.

"None of your men have been in the castle. I would have seen them." I defend.

"Then somebody’s going out to meet them." Robin states as I frown slightly. Hadn't Guy been making 'more' than necessary visits into town recently? I hadn't taken much thought of it until now, maybe Guy is meeting up with the spy and that is how the Sheriff is getting his information.

"I'll keep watch." I promise, as I attempt to leave only to have Robin grip my arm and pull me back.

"No. You'll keep out of it."

"No!"

"Esme, this is none of your business." Robin snaps as I scoff.

"The King’s being betrayed right now because of your spy. It is my business." I hiss.

"Well, what if the spy’s told them about you and the Nightwatchman?" Robin looks at me worried as I knew it was dangerous. But I had to help the King and the only way to find out the spy would be whilst being inside the castle.

"Then I’m dead anyway." I growl before ripping my arm from his grip and slipping back into the castle. Casually asking a few guards for where Guy was I made my way towards the dungeon entrance by the East corridor. If anyone knew about the spy or was contacting them my guess would be Guy. I took a cautious step towards the entrance, trying to peer down the stairs. I see Guy briefly with a soldier and luckily his voice travelled slightly.

"Sir, there’s a sign at the Trip Inn." He informed as I notice that Guy is rushing up the stairs as I quickly turn and steps briskly down the corridor into the cloister. So it is Guy who is meeting the spy and at least I have a location now. See Robin! You wouldn't have found this out if I wasn't inside the castle. However Guy must have seen me as he begins to follow on after me.

"Esme. Where’s your guard?" He reprovingly questions as I turn to face him innocently.

"I don’t know. Must have lost him." I brightly grin as I place my back to the column as Guy smirks watching me and leans his hand against the column, before he looks over my shoulder.

"Watch Lady Esme." He instructs to his soldier as I pout and let my shoulders sag.

"Is that really necessary?" I question slightly flustered.

"I don’t know. Is it?" He asks huskily leaning in closer as I smile slightly.

"Do you think I’m a threat?" I playfully ask as his eyes soften slightly.

"No." He gently whispers as his hand caress's my cheek slightly before he goes to continue walking towards the main doors.

"I was wondering if I could have a day away from the castle and the guards and accompany you." I ask him truthfully stepping beside him as he paused. I noticed Guy's Man standing behind me with folds his arms.

"I’m on business." Guy sighs as I grin mischievously.

"Sounds interesting."

"Esme, it’s private." Guy states as I lean into Guy more.

"Sounds doubly interesting." I grin as he shakes his head with a sigh.

"Esme. No." He firmly states as I sigh and rocked on the balls of my feet slightly.

"Very well. But at least let me have a day unchaperoned." I begged as he narrowed his eyes at me with a smirk on his lips as I bit my lip to prevent myself from smiling back however I failed miserably as his beautiful eyes watched me.

"You’re up to something." He chuckles curiously.

"Yes. I’m charming you so that I can have an hour or two without a goon on my back." I pointedly turn to look at the guard before turning back to Guy who jerks his head aside, dismissing his man. Guy passes me, then turns back as I turn around to face him, smiling triumphantly.

"But you stay in the castle." He warns as I sigh.

"Spoil sport" I pout as he chuckled and left as I watch Guy go down the steps and then I turn back down the corridor, ready to put my plan into action. Sorry Guy but I'm afraid this is a time when I have to disobey an order. Yet again when do I ever listen to anyone's orders? I smirk to myself at the thought.