Chapter 41

- Chapter 41 -

I finally finished crying and rubbed my face, pinching my cheeks, before I forlornly leave from behind my hiding spot where I had my costume in a bag I pinched. The dress I wore was actually really nice, it was white with blue design, soft fabric as I pushed my hair from face and was ready to make my way back into the castle. Suddenly Robin pulls back a sheet hanging on the line and steps out in front of me making me stare in disbelief for a moment. Robin smiled at me which was all I needed as I smiled and ran into his arms, not caring much about my aching back.

"Robin!" I cried out happily as he spun me around laughing slightly.

"Who died?" He asked me facetiously.

"You did. The Sheriff said you were dead." I told him refusing to let him go as I saw Robin immediately turn serious as he turns to walk out through the town, keeping an arm round me, as I wasn't ready to let my brother go just yet.

"The Sheriff. The Sheriff is plotting to kill the King with his friends, the Black Knights. They’re already dividing England between themselves. You can’t go back into the castle." He whispered informing me as I gasped slightly. However I wasn't totally surprised.

"We must get word to the King: Nottingham is not safe." I informed him, refusing to answer about not going back into the castle. I had to!

"It’s not just Nottingham. The Black Knights... the Black Knights, they’re everywhere. They’re taxing the poor of England to pay for an army of mercenaries." He told me as I felt a slip of hope fade as I gulped.

"Well, we must stop them. I must go back to the castle." I told him as I turn to leave only to have Robin rush after me and grab hold of me pulling me back into the shadows.

"It’s too dangerous!" He hissed.

"Robin! Having a spy on the inside when there is a coup being plotted is useful." I hissed back as I wished he would see the advantage. Besides my father is there I have to go back….and Guy's there too.

"Esme, I can’t protect you in the castle." He told me apprehensively as I pulled him into a hug one last time, kissing his cheek before I disappeared once more. Sneaking back into the castle wasn't too hard as I snuck through the corridors. I reached the balcony and climbed over it holding onto the stone. I gulped; being in a dress will make this so much harder as I started to climb towards my window. I nearly slipped a few times but once I was inside my chambers, costume hidden I drew a breath of relief. I composed myself before I left my room feeling my energy drain from me once more.

I was weakly walking in the corridors breathing in the fresh air; my energy had been drained from me from my sudden actions today. Foolishly I pulled out my Nightwatchman costume however I did it to save Robin. I heard commotion and angry growls as I glanced down to see Guy storming into the castle courtyard angrily. His balance seemed off as I frowned as he glanced up slightly I noticed the red marks around his eyes as he looked like he wanted to cry. Pepper.

"My lady you should be resting" One of the young maid exclaimed as I knew it meant it gained Guy's attention as I turned to her.

"Have a bowl of cold water and herbs taken to Sir Guy's chambers" I instructed as she frowned and nodded. I glanced down and found that Guy was no longer there as I slowly made it to his room where I saw the young girl walk out after delivering what I requested. I knocked three times before getting an angry response as I opened it and closed it before turning to see him rubbing his eyes, only making it worse.

"That won't help Sir Guy. It will only make it worse" I spoke softly as he turned stunned at first to see me here as he frowned and narrowed his eyes as he watched me walk over to the bowl I had asked for.

"Sit" I instructed as he did without question, sitting on the edge of his bed, as he went to rub it as I scowled and slapped his hands. I rubbed several of the herbs into the water as it turned a cloudy white before I brought the bowl closer to him.

"Close your eyes, and lean your head back" I instructed softly as he did. I must admit I had to fight back the urge to run my fingers through his hair. I dipped the liquid with a cloth and let it hover over his eyes as several drops fell onto his long lashes before moving to the next eye.

"Blink it in" I informed as he opened his eyes and growled loudly and went to rub it once again as I had to hold his hands down.

"DAMN IT WOMEN!" He shouted as he kept blinking through the pain as I grabbed hold of his leather gloves and pulled them off. If any of the powder had gotten to his gloves then he would be constantly re-infecting his eyes each time he rubbed them. He tried to push me away though I refused until I felt myself get thrown against the table as I held the side to ensure I kept on my feet.

"If it hurts then its means its working" I stated simply as I dipped the cloth into the water once again and gently dapped the liquid under his eyes as he watched me sharply. I saw them soften as I tried to keep my focus on the work and not those breath taking eyes that made my heart leap.

"Better?" I asked as I went from eye to eye and gently dabbed his skin as he nodded slightly as I turned to dab the cloth in the liquid once more.

"How do you know this?" He questioned as I felt my back shudder and stiffened as I knew he noticed as I heard the sound of the bed sheets shifting as I took a deep breath and dunked the cloth in the liquid once more.

"I uhhh….when I was younger…..Pepper in the eyes……I used it to get free from some unsavory characters" I scrambled looking for words as I heard the sound of boots as I gulped knowing he would be rather closer to me than I would have preferred.

"Are they the ones who did this to you?" His voice asked protectively as I turned my head slightly to see him standing behind me.

"I should go" I whispered quickly as I went to leave only to feel his hand grab my forearm pulling me back, as I gasped at the electricity that his warm rough hand gave. His thumb automatically caressed my arm as we stared at each other for a while.

"Esme" His growl was protective and demanding as I hesitated at first.

"Blink in the liquid once more and before bed and you should be fine" I instructed before pulling myself out of his grip and making my way to the door. I opened it and glanced back at him once more were our eyes met as I could see the rejection in his eyes before I shut the door behind me and left for my room to rest where I felt my vision blur and my back ache.