Chapter 17

I just had to share this one 😂😂
I hope everyone is healthy, safe, and happy these days. Make sure to wash your hands and wear a mask! Practice safe social distancing, you never know.
❤️
____________________________

"What're you watching, Jisoo?" You ask as you make your way to sit on the couch nearby her in the living room. She was searching through Netflix, before finally making a choice in her Watch It Again list. The show's opening credits rolled out, but it was quite obviously in another language, and by the look of the actors, an East Asian one.

Rosé had invited you in to stay with the girls in their suite to hang out. When you tried to respectfully decline, she insisted on it and wouldn't take no for an answer. "Besides,' she said, 'what're you gonna do in your own room all day? At least now you'll have company." There wasn't much room left to argue there. Later on in the evening you'll all go out together again, so it just made sense to stick around.

"Ahh she's watching that drama again for the hundredth time. Sarangui Bulsichak." Rosé says as she sits down next to you, a cup of water in her hands that she settles on the coffee table.

"Sarang-what?" You ask. Jisoo giggles and pauses the screen, you can see the two main leads standing across from each other.

"Sarangui Bulsichak. I think the English name is Crash Landing On You." Jisoo replies.

"It's a popular romantic drama from Korea. It's also a Netflix original.' Rosé explains. 'Have you ever seen or heard of any K-dramas?" She asks you. You think about it for a second.

"Mmm, I think I have actually. But it was a long time ago, I had a sleepover with a childhood friend and she introduced me to this show she was watching. It's called... Boys... Boys over something." You try to remember what it was called.

"Boys over Flowers!" Jennie calls from behind, Lisa walking in with her. You all turn your heads to see them.

"Yeah! I think that's the name. There was like these four rich boys and one poor girl at an elite school. The haircuts and fashion was something else.' They all laugh and agree. 'But I got really into it. I didn't even like the main guy at first, I liked the other one with the long orangish hair."

"Ahh Yoon Ji-Hoo. He's played by that actor, Kim Hyun-Joong." Lisa says with a smirk. She sits with Jennie on the other couch.

"Yeah, I remember getting a crush on him as soon as he first smiled. Later on though, the main guy with the curly hair, he grew on me. I liked him even more. By the end of the show I was super attached." You exclaim and Rosé pats your arm.

"Yeah, we've all seen that one. That show was so popular back in the day. I didn't realize it became that popular that even people from America were watching it?" She says.

"Well it wasn't super popular like that, but Korean dramas and pop music became a known thing around. I'd say K-pop especially back in those days. And that's because of Youtube and the internet.' You reply. They all nod in agreement. 'It's been awhile but I'm open to discovering a new drama. So, what's this one about?" You ask them.

"Okay, you see that woman? She's a rich heiress from a wealthy family that owns like a huge company, or in Korean, a chaebol. The guy standing across from her, is a high ranking officer from North Korea. Somehow, they meet and fall in love." Jennie explains, waving her hands around to express her words.

"So, a woman from South Korea and a man from North Korea. How would that even happen? Could that maybe happen in real life?" You ask them curiously.

"You'd have to watch to see how it happens. But happening in real life?... I doubt it. There is truth though to the fact that many families and loved ones have been separated because of the border between the North and South, it was built along the 38th parallel after the Korean War." Rosé explains even further.

"Right, that makes sense. Korea really does have a sad history.' You say, trying to remember what you learned from History class in school as well as on your own. 'Well, now you've got me interested. Let's watch."

Jisoo makes sure to turn on English subtitles for you, and then presses play on the remote. Together you all adjust in your seats comfortably and watch the first episode for the next hour. It feels really nice to be sitting with them. You feel more comfortable and welcome, like sitting around with a couple of friends and just hanging out.

The story is getting pretty interesting. The female leads name is Yoon Se-Ri. At first you aren't sure how to feel about her character, but soon you like her. She's testing a parachute from her line of products and ends up in a dangerous storm with a tornado. When Se-Ri gains consciousness, she's in the forests of North Korea stuck up in a tree. There, she meets a soldier who was checking out the scene. A man named Ri Jeong-Hyeok. You're thinking he might arrest her, might shoot her down and get it over with. But Jeong-Hyeok hesitates, and while he's still cautious, he can't find it within himself to stay away. It's not like Se-Ri was doing anything wrong, she's innocent in all of this and he chooses to believe her.

You laugh when Se-Ri quite literally crash lands into Jeong-Hyeok's arms after unbuckling herself from the harness stuck in the tree. Moving onto the second episode, and you begin to see that he wants to protect her. Jeong-Hyeok wants to find a way to help Se-Ri escape North Korea, to help her get back home safely. It's very sweet, and not what you'd expect from a North Korean soldier when you see all the propaganda that they show. The show does a good job of humanizing its characters, giving them real flaws and quirks that viewers can relate to. You can already tell you'll love this one.

Out of the corner of your eye, you sometimes sense that one of the girls is watching your reaction to certain moments. It makes sense since they've all seen the show already. You decide to have a little fun with it. Once again, you sense that Rosé's eyes are following your face, so you turn your head to face her very abruptly. She flinches, blinking a few times. You beam at her and giggle, she becomes flustered but laughs as well.

Soon you all finish the second episode of the drama. Agreeing to make it official that this would be a show for you to binge-watch together.