Chapter 52

Rosie come get your girl 😭
_______________________________

Downstairs one floor from the wedding hall, the hotel also provides a look-out where one can stand outside on the same floor, much like a large balcony. This is where Emma takes you. Her hand still holds yours as the two of you walk under the stars. Pale moonlight casts a dim glow in the vicinity, and as you look around, you notice the set-up of the place.

On both your left and right are white tables circled with outdoor chairs for dining, evenly spread in a half oval for hotel guests to have a perfect view of the city's skyline as they eat. Past this is a few steps that you go down before becoming level with the glass fence that guards the perimeter. Nearby it, to your right, stands an abstract metal sculpture of a butterfly. The wings are spread as if to take flight.

Heels click on the floor as both you and Emma enter here, only stopping when you reach the fence and rest your free hand on it.

"Wow," Emma remarks as she watches the scene. 'What a view."

"Yeah... it's no New York though." You reply quietly.

Emma glances at you. "What?"

"Uh, nothing."

After a beat, she gives a half-smile and turns towards you. She steps closer. Her hand never left yours this whole time. You're not sure why you haven't let go yet, but a feeling deep inside expresses that you secretly crave that touch. Doesn't matter who it comes from.

"I think I had you pegged all wrong, Y/N."

"What do you mean?"

Emma looks out at the city. "When you came to me at the bar and introduced yourself, you seemed like this hot-shot playgirl. Intimidating to say the least. But now, well, you're quieter. Hesitant."

The atmosphere out here is serene. A cool breeze blows Emma's long hair behind her shoulders. You watch her side profile and frown, but then she faces you again. "It's adorable," she says, then grins at your blush under her lingering stare.

"You just met me, Emma. You don't know a thing about me."

"Do I have to? I can read you like a book. Gentle by nature and good-willed at heart. It's not hard to see that you don't usually get out of your comfort zone like this."

"Well jeez, thanks for calling me out."

Emma laughs and playfully leans back and forth on her heels. "It's not a bad thing, you know. You do get points for trying."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. I find it endearing. Cute."

She's very close now. Your heart rate picks up at the proximity, and the way her hand so effortlessly rests on your hip. The woman knows damn well what she's doing.

"Something tells me though,' Emma continues. 'That you deserve a reward for it. Someone pulling the reigns tonight. Sound good?"

Being the older one in this situation, she's obviously had more experience. You imagine that her lawyer abilities make her stubborn and domineering too. She's establishing her right as the authoritative position over your guilty case. Studying you, intimidating you, and breaking down every wall you've built. But you hate feeling so exposed. The discomfort builds slowly in your chest, threatening to come up.

"I don't know about that last part. I'm a pretty good rider myself to control those reigns." You reply, a low tone to match hers.

"Oh, I have no doubt about that. I can't wait to see it."

Mentally, you curse yourself for walking right into that one. She's turning you now. Away from the view of the twinkling sky and into her eyes where nothing but a dark loom exists. Your breath hitches as she backs you against the fence, pinned against the top edge of the glass.