Chapter 44

🚨 PSA: Stream 'On The Ground' M/V on YouTube! 200M is the goal ✔️
____________________________

It didn't take another second of hesitance for you to turn and push Rosie out of harm's way.

"Get back in the store." You mutter and Rosie widens her eyes. She leans her head to check out the scene again, mumbling about something.

"But—" she begins.

"NOW."

Finally, Rosie listens and turns to jog back in while you follow closely behind, occasionally glancing back and hoping the two figures don't notice your presence. Thankfully, the lights in the music store are still on. Jared still hasn't closed up shop yet. As soon as you enter the doors again, however, Rosie faces you and holds a hand up.

"We can't just ignore them, that man needs help!" She says. You make a move to push her more but Rosie won't budge.

"We'll help by getting Jared to call the police." You reply, assuring her. She shakes her head.

"It'll take forever before they show up — that man could be severely injured or dead by now!"

"And that's not my priority, you are! We can't be getting involved in stuff out here like— where are you going?"

"I'm good at boxing, I can defend myself." Rosie weaves around you to head for the door but you immediately grab her forearm.

"Nuh-uh, not happening." Rosie tries to release your grasp, shaking her arm, but you remain adamant and bring her back. When you finally let go, she startles you a bit by raising both her arms and voice.

"If that man is dead, it's on you! There's nobody else around that can help him, yet the one person who actually CAN — won't do it."

You sigh. "It's not that I don't want to, it's that I'm on duty and my job is to protect you and only—"

"Y/N, you fucking said it yourself. You like protecting people. That's why you chose this job! Or is that whole protective thing used only for girls you find pretty?" Her tone leaves a dead silence in the air for a few moments. Your jaw clenches and your eyebrows furrow. Rosie realizes she may have struck a nerve. "Y/N—" she begins, but you put your hands on her shoulders.

"Go find Jared and tell him to call 9-1-1. And listen to me very clearly.' You shake Rosie's shoulders a bit to make sure she's paying attention. 'Are you listening?"

Rosie blinks. "Y-Yes."

"If things get bad, don't step out of the store. Call Tanya if needed. But no matter what happens, you don't come out. Got it? You're an idol and shouldn't be here with me anyway." Rosie blinks again and lowers her gaze. "Promise me you won't come out."

"I promise." She quietly replies. You nod and watch as Rosie turns to run deeper into the store.

The glass door is swung wide open this time as you burst through and out onto the street. You groan while heading towards the figures.

Who does she think I am — the friggin' Wonder Woman?

You arrive just in time to see the victim, who appears to be a middle-aged East Asian man, knocked to the ground with a punch. A rather expensive-looking camera in his hands drops too, it skids along the cement until rolling to a stop nearby your feet. The attacker seems to be a local, they're Caucasian and male. He dresses casually in denim jeans and a plaid top, and you notice the dark stubble along his jawline. He still hasn't noticed you yet. You size him up. He's bigger and a bit taller than you, but he's no work of fitness wonder. That'll have to be put to the test.