Chapter 65

(Rosé's POV)

It all happened so fast. One moment I was being dragged back to the car by my wrist until I pushed Ken off, and the next, we were arguing until I felt this shock against my face with a force so strong that I fell to my hands and knees.

The ground has tiny pebbles and dirt that mark my hands. Instinctively, I raise my dirt-riddled palm to my cheek because it stings and throbs with pain. Hot tears blur my vision, so I blink them away to run down my cheeks.

I force myself to turn and look up at him again. This stranger from another world. There's a mixture of disbelief and rage written all over my smouldering features. But I'm shaking too, and it's because of this fear over what this monster will do next. Will he hurt me more?

I meet Ken's eyes and see that he is in disbelief too. He glances at the palm of his hand and back down at me.

"R-Rosie, I didn't..." Ken stutters as he takes a few steps closer.

I flinch again, expecting a blow but it doesn't come. A loud grunt elicits from Ken as he goes stumbling over to my left. That's when I get a good look at Y/N who punched him. She quickly moves in and kicks him on the ground.

Ken cries out in pain as he rolls over, but Y/N isn't letting up. She pulls his body over so that it faces her, then she lifts him by the collar of his jacket and punches him again. I can see a few veins popping out on her forehead and neck. The deadly glare on her face.

So she did find me. "Y/N?" I'm calling, but she doesn't look my way. I jump out of my skin when she starts yelling.

"YOU LIFTED YOUR HAND ON HER, HUH? YOU FUCKING SON OF A BITCH!"

Her voice rings loud in my ears. It's unlike anything I've ever heard from her before, filled with such hatred and anger I didn't know she possessed.

"Answer me!" She calls again as Ken gives her a bewildered look.

"What the fuck!" He retorts and shoves her off, attempting to fight back. It works for a few seconds, but Y/N comes back twice as hard. Knocking him to the ground with a powerful kick, she's beating him up until he can barely move. Her fists are turning bloody. She raises them again and again until I scream out for her to stop.

"Y/N! Stop it — you'll kill him!"

A beat passes as Y/N slows down. She looks up at me with these dark savage eyes, her chest heaving with short breaths. Anyone else would take one look at her and run, but I'm not scared. I can see where she's hurting.

"He's had enough,' I continue. 'Stop, please."

Y/N's gaze falls back on Ken. Her voice is low now as she says, "if you touch her ever again, I will kill you. Understand?"

As expected, there's no reply. Ken moans about the pain as he holds his face. Y/N lifts herself and comes over to me. She kneels and studies me, then her fingers carefully brush the hairs from my face.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you anywhere else or touch you?" She asks, her tone growing gentle.

"No," I reply hoarsely. Tears brew in my eyes again because I can see the blood on her knuckles. Y/N sighs.

"If he tried anything — anything at all, tell me. I swear I will give it right back to him and then some."

"No, Y/N! No... let's just go, okay?"

Y/N nods. "Okay, we'll go." She notices the dirt left on my hands and wipes them with her fingers. Then she stands with my hands in hers and helps lift me. I get one last look at Ken over my shoulder as I'm being led away. He sits with his head sulked over, but I don't feel sorry for him one bit. It dawns on me when we reach Y/N's car — the way my whole body is beginning to relax — what kind of way I cared for Ken. It could never have been love.