Chapter 63

(Rosé's POV)

I sense somebody is watching me from the corner of my eye as I lean away from Ken, wanting to smell something other than the alcohol on his breath. He's tipsy, rambling about random things to me that were amusing to hear. When I look in the other direction however, I unexpectedly see Y/N, and my breath hitches.

She stands among the crowd, nearby a couple of important men in suits all sitting huddled around a coffee table. Underneath the changing lights and shifting shadows, I'm taken aback by her handsome look. The sharp angles in her face and the black suit she sports. Her mesmerizing eyes are so dangerous and deep when she's focused.

Y/N was staring at me, and something in the way there is such a serious look on her face brings a rush of heat to mine and this uneasy feeling inside. I realize that she was watching me and Ken. This may as well be the first time she's seen us together. All of a sudden, it feels too alien that my boyfriend is sitting so close and being so touchy. Consciously, I begin inching away from Ken only to find her focus has shifted. She turns to the rising man next to her, Mr. Kim Byung-hun.

Oh gosh, they're coming this way. I have less than ten seconds to take a deep breath and compose myself.

"Oppa, isn't that your dad coming this way?" Lisa, who is sitting on my other side, asks Ken.

"Hm?' Ken blurts. 'Oh... shit — yeah, it is."

Together we all watch as Ken's father approaches our group. I can feel Ken tensing up, but he calms himself down enough to stand and bow to his father. There's an awkward rundown moment where Ken and his father shake hands, then hug and give pats on the back. Congratulations are said and tight-lipped smiles are shared; anything for the public eye. I would know.

Behind this interaction stands a solemn-looking Y/N. I keep nervously glancing at her, but she never meets my gaze. She simply keeps her held hands behind her back and waits. All too soon Ken's father leaves again with Y/N trailing behind him.

I want to tell her how unfair she's being. That I already warned her about my other options even though I never exclusively said who it was.

Biting my lower lip, I watch as she walks away. If only I could just go talk to her now. She's working though, and I'm playing my part as a supportive girlfriend. There are so many eyes too. I don't know why I care so much about this, but I just do.

"—baby?" Ken's voice finally reaches my distracted mind. I turn my head back.

"Huh, sorry?" I say. A grin settles on his face and he laughs.

"Were you even listening? I said I'm gonna go talk to my Dad to see if he can let his female bodyguard off the hook for tonight."

My mind goes blank for a second. "Y/N? Why would you want to do that?"

Ken raises his eyebrows. "You know her?"

Oh shit. Busted. Subtly, I clear my throat. "Uh — well, yes I do. Lisa and Jennie here know her too."

"Really?' Ken asks. 'What a small world. I was gonna introduce you to each other but if you're already acquainted, then I gotta bring her here. I'm interested in how you all met."

"But, why would you want to do that?" I ask again.

Ken runs a hand through his hair, pushing the dark bangs from his eyes. "Because she's really fucking cool! She's a good friend of mine from back when we worked at the other company 'til now. And man, I'll be damned if I don't get her away from my Dad tonight." He gets up and jogs off.

I sit there, practically speechless as I digest his words. Ken and Y/N... Y/N and Ken are good friends — even from back when he worked at his previous company? I furrow my eyebrows and frown. The idea is so weird to me. I look up ahead and search for them with my eyes, then I find them standing by each other while Ken is conversing with his father.