"Here."

Phoenix reached his hand out to take the chain but the shorter girl leaned into his sitting frame and clasped the silver together herself.

She smiled when she felt that his neck was heated, and she pulled back to tease him about his flushed state but froze at the noise approaching the class's open door.

The football team had just arrived and classes were cheering them on. Penelope overheard that they were on some kind of winning streak, so that explained the overly warm welcome.

The boys whooped and laughed as they walked down the hall, slapping some hands of the kids that stood near them.

Penelope swallowed as her eyes locked with the ones of her friend. Owen smiled at her as he walked past the art class, but it faltered when he noticed tattooed hands move to wrap around her waist almost possessively.

Phoenix pulled the shorter girl closer to his frame so that she was standing between his legs. His eyes were fixated on the boy in a hardened glare, and he took note of how the star quarterback avoided looking at him.

Penelope released a breath when the group finally moved down the rest of the hallway, but she could feel anxiety creeping around her neck like a vice.

Her hopes of Phoenix leaving things be had just flown out the window. He was gripping her so tightly, she was sure handprints would be left on her skin.

"Phoenix.."

"What" He muttered, his eyes still trained on the doorway.

"Are you okay?"

The boy ignored her and dropped his hands to start cleaning up the supplies.

"Ph-"

The bell rang, interrupting her words.

"I'm fine."

"Great job today class! Remember to take your canvases home so you and your partners can finish your art. I want to see lots of thought and dimension!"

Penelope shrugged on her backpack and picked up the canvas, holding it close to her chest. She nibbled on her bottom lip as she watched her boyfriend sling his own bag over his shoulder.

She watched his hand hesitantly, unsure if he was okay with her touching him since he seemed a bit annoyed; a voice of insecurity whispered that it was because of her.

However, Phoenix rose a questioning brow and took her small palm in his large one, bringing about a familiar comfort that settled her nerves and warmed her tummy.

Penelope smiled as they left the classroom but made a sound of confusion when she saw that they weren't heading in the direction of the cafeteria.

"Where are we going?"

"Do you plan on holding that for the rest of the day?"

The brunette blushed at being reminded of the canvas she still held in her arms. Sometimes when her mind wandered she could be quite forgetful.

"Oh"

They arrived at her locker and the girl inputted her combination before sliding the large structure inside. She closed the door and breathed a sigh before turning to face the taller boy again.

"Nix, about earlier I-"

Penelope paused when she heard another locker door close, and her eyes flickered to see her best friend.

The blonde faltered too, not expecting to see the girl that her crush much prefers over herself. And of course she was already thriving with a boyfriend of her own.