To Mend a Broken Heart

It's been almost a month without Kai.

Almost a month since my best friend betrayed me.

I haven't talked to Bonnie since then. Or Elena or Caroline. I can't even look at them.

It will be exactly a month since he's been gone in two days.

What a celebration.

The only thing that has happened that is exciting is the proposal.

Alaric proposed to Jo two weeks ago. A few of us thought it was too early but they're clearly meant to be.

We're going to have the wedding in guess when?

Two days. I'm still going to go, but all I'll be able to think about is the pain.

I turn around in bed, turning to my nightstand. My phone reads 3:26am. I turn back around to the empty space next to me. I run my hand over the cold sheets that used to be warm.

All I can imagine is Kai sitting here while we laugh together. I try to swallow the pain from the thoughts.

I decide to go to the kitchen to get a drink. I walk down the stairs quietly, not wanting to wake the other people who live here.

I go into the kitchen opening the cabinet and grabbing a glass cup. I go to the freezer and get some ice. I head over to the sink to get water.

"Noelle?" I hear a whisper. I jump and let out a yelp. I see Stefan walking into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes.

"You scared me." I whisper, setting the cup down.  He walks towards me standing near me.

"I'm sorry. I just- I heard you earlier, and I saw you walking down the stairs, so I wanted to see if you were okay." He says.

"Heard me doing what?" I ask like I'm stupid.

"Elle." He states. "I heard you crying earlier."

Something else?

The only thing that helps me actually get some rest is crying myself to sleep.

"I just really miss him." My voice cracks. Tears threaten to escape and one rolls down my cheek. Stefan notices it and pulls me into a hug to comfort me.

"It's okay. Let it out." He whispers. The tears fall down my face, but I don't let it go too far.

I hate crying in front of people.

"Thanks, Stefan. You should probably get back to Caroline, though." I say quietly, grabbing the glass to put water in it. He nods.

"Just let me know if you need someone to talk to. I'll be here. And Bonnie keeps telling me to tell you she's sorry, but I can tell you're not ready for that. It's perfectly fine to be mad at her. Even I don't like what they did to you. Goodnight, Elle." Stefan turns around.

I say something that we've said to each other so many times in the past: "Love you, big bro."

He turns back around and smiles.

"Love you, too, little sis." He whispers before he walks away. Stefan is probably the first person who has cared about what I'm going through right now.

Well, he's the first person to show it.

I didn't sleep for very long after that, but when I got up, I saw everyone standing in the living room with Lily. I walk over to Jeremy immediately.

"What's going on?" I whisper.

"Lily's finally telling us about what she left behind. She trying to get us to go back for them." He whispers back, pointing at Lily. She's talking in little spurts. From what I hear, she's talking about family.