Special Place

It feels like we've been driving forever, but Kai insists that I see this special place. God, he's probably going to kill me.

"Kai?" I ask, turning to look at him for the first time since we've gotten in the car.

"That's my name, princess." He says, barely looking at me.

"Are you suddenly acting this way because of what you told me? I don't understand why it's so horrible for you to be good." I state, my words coming out quietly.

"Elle, I need you to stop. I need you to stop trying to change me. My family wanted me to be abomination, so I became one," Kai orders, turning to look at me. "I killed them. I can kill you, too."

I don't say anything, turning back to the window and trying to keep my fear to a minimum.

I wish I could say I wasn't scared.

I wish I could say, "I'll be fine. I have magic. If he tries to hurt me, I'll hurt him."

But the prison world has been draining my magic.

The magic I do have has to be saved for when we leave.

If I'm able to leave.

"We're here. Wake up, sleepyhead." Kai says in a singsong voice, waking me up.

"And where is here exactly?" I ask, my voice groggy. He steps out of the car, opening my door and helping me out as well.

"My childhood home." He says looking up at the house in front of us.

"You know, my family all had a part in me coming here- to this prison world." He states, his eyes staying on the past. I look at him with wonder, wanting to know more.

"The coven I'm in, the Gemini Coven, requires that every set of twins must merge when they turn 22. The most powerful wins, and basically absorbs the other twin. They gain more power that way. I had killed my siblings right before the merge was going to happen. I tried to kill Olivia and Luke, the backups, but they ran away." He explains. I stop him before he can continue.

"Backups...?" I question.

"As soon as my parents discovered what I was, they kept having children until another set of twins were born. Backups. They knew that I would win the merge and they didn't want that, so they had Liv and Luke. As I was saying before, I killed my other siblings a day before the merge happened. Everyone acted like everything was normal. But, when I went to do the spell with Jo, I couldn't feel her magic. That was when my dad came out from behind some trees, and everyone started chanting a spell that made me feel like my head was exploding. I ended up passing out, and I woke up here. It took me a while to get used to it, but I'm okay with being here now. I mean not completely- that's why I have a backup ascendant, like my parents had backup twins." He states, looking over to me with a smirk.

"Backup ascendant?" I ask, my voice laced with anger. Kai nods, taking a few steps away from me.

"Now, I spent years trying to figure out why I couldn't feel my sisters magic. It turns out she stored it in something. I didn't even know you could do that until I researched and researched and found the spell she used. That's why we're here." He says, and he walks over to an almost hollowed out tree stump. He puts his hand in and takes out a knife.

"This. This is what she stored her magic in. I can feel it." He says, whispering the last part. "We both know your magic is fading. This is the key to leave this prison world."

He then continues to siphon the magic out of the knife, tightening his fingers around it once he siphons all of the magic out.

"Now, all I need is Bennett blood." He looks over at me.