In Denial

I shouldn't feel this way for Kai. He's not a good person. And I'm just becoming more like him if I try and ignore everything he's done.

No, he hasn't killed thousands of people like Damon and Stefan has.

But he almost killed me, and I think that's what's holding me back the most.

I need to move on and get out of this prison world.

And I don't think I can let Kai come with me.

After the day he said he felt the same way, we talked more about our pasts and how much our families had managed to screw us over.

He had told me all about how he had tried to kill himself so many times. I was confused, but then he told me that his coven made it to where he couldn't die here.

I would have probably tried to kill myself if I was stuck here alone for 18 years, too.

And when he told me that, I actually felt bad for him. Because I knew, in that moment, if he had someone that genuinely cared for him growing up, then he wouldn't have ended up like this.

When I woke up this morning, I couldn't find him. I was worried at first, but then I remembered that he told me he liked to go out and practice magic sometimes. I went to the kitchen to find something to eat. But as I was searching through the cupboards, I heard something outside.

I grab a wooden spoon, stepping out into the backyard. And I nearly have a heart attack when Kai jumps out in front of me.

"Happy Birthday, Noelle." He states, holding a balloon in his hand.

"You scared the shit out of me. God, I could've killed you!" I exclaim, showing him the spoon.

"Yes, I'm sure that piece of wood would've done a lot of damage." He chuckles, walking towards the door.

He hands me the balloon, and we walk back in the house.

"I have magic in case you forgot, idiot." I mutter, walking back inside with Kai following behind him.

"Ouch. Didn't have to be so rude." He states with a chuckle. I let the balloon hit the ceiling, walking towards Kai and placing my hand on his arm.

"Thanks. I haven't gotten a balloon in over a decade." I whisper with a smile.

He gives me a nod, patting my hand before walking into the living room.

"So, Malachai, what did you get me?" I joke, watching he stops in his tracks, turning to look at me.

"I am regretting telling you my full name." He whispers, standing in front of me.

"You're regretting it, Malachai?" I laugh, taking a step closer to him.

"If you call me Malachai one more time, I will throw you on that couch." He warns, his jaw clenching and his face trying to disguise a smile.

"Okay, okay," I mumble. "Malachai."

Kai immediately extends his arms, grabbing me by the waist and walking towards the couch, throwing me down and climbing on top of me so that I can't move.

"Stop, stop!" I laugh. He gets close to my face, his warm breath hitting my lips.

"I don't want to, princess." He whispers.

But when his lips get dangerously close to mine, I have to push him off.

We can't do this. I can't do this.

"We can't do that, Kai." I mumble under my breath, standing up off of the couch.

"Why not? We like each other don't we?" He asks.