A new friend, just in time

Start from the beginning

"I'm so sorry you had to see this. I don't know what's is wrong with me, I've been feeling sick this whole month. It seems that I can't keep anything down any more."'Julia said, frustrated that she was ill, and on top of that, she had to quit her job because of the sexual harassment at work.

"Please don't mind me, I've seen sick before, my fathers two younger wives would vomit every day when they were with child, all through the nine months of their pregnancy!" Amira said, not realizing the horror on Julia's face when she heard Amira's words.

Julia's face had turned ashen, was she pregnant? She thought, with only one night in bed with Edward, was it possible for her to get pregnant so fast?

"Are you suggesting that I'm pregnant?" Julia asked, as anxiety gripped her.

"Well no, I was merely saying that ..." She stopped talking as soon as she realized that Julia's face looked sick again. "You might need to sit down." She told Julia, as she pulled her gently out of the bathroom and into the small living room where Julia sat herself down on the couch.

Bella jumped on Julia's lap and leaned against her stomach. She heard the baby's heartbeat and sighed with relief.

"What is your name?" Julia asked the young woman who sat on a chair across form her.

"My name is Amira." The princess responded, in a gentle voice.

"Are you from around this neighborhood? I have not seen you in the diner before." Julia asked.

Amira sighed and remained silent, not knowing what to say. She certainly didn't want to be labeled crazy, so she refrained herself from telling her the truth. "No I'm not from around here."

"Oh, are you visiting family?" Julia asked.

"No, I have no family from around here. I was just passing through and wanted to grab a bite, before I headed out north." Amira told her, and her eyes sparkled with tears that threatened to spill.

"Is something wrong?" Julia asked softly.

"Everything is wrong, but no need to worry about me, I'll be fine. So how many months pregnant are you?" Amira asked innocently enough.

"I don't think I'm pregnant, that is, I can't be!" Julia said, "how could that be possible with only one time?"

"That's all it took for my aunt to get pregnant," the Arabian princess said.

Julia started to cry. If she was pregnant she will be in huge trouble. How would she be able to support herself and a baby?

"Please don't cry, having a baby is not such a terrible thing. I helped raised my four little sisters and it was not all that bad." Amira said, trying to sound encouraging.

"You don't understand, I can barely support myself, let alone a baby! If I'm pregnant I won't be able to work for long, and I have no health insurance, nor do I have the luxury of staying home to raise the child because I will need to go to work to pay my bills!" Julia cried.

Amira did not understand what Julia was talking about, what did she mean when she said she has no health insurance?

"I can help you, I'm pretty good with little children." Amira chimed, happy that she came up with a solution.

Julia regarded her for a few minutes before she spoke. "You can stay here with me and help me raise my baby?"

"Yes, it's not like I have anywhere else to go. Mayhap you can give me a place to stay and a plate of food, and in return I could be your baby's caretaker." Amira said with a pleased smile on her face, having figured it all out.