The Garden of Eden

Alexander still sported the headache, and he wanted to be anywhere else but here, but he had no choice, he wasn't about to leave his wife with his brother sitting at the same table with his wife. They didn't call his brother wolf for nothing!

His brother had no morals whatsoever, he didn't care about anything but himself. Aindrea was a selfish bastard who lived his life according to his own rules. Alexander loved his brother, but he didn't trust him where women were concerned. The man had bedded every single women that had crossed his path. He was gorgeous and knew how to woo them, but Alexander was not about to allow his brother to snatch his wife. He needed sons to fill the halls of Balmoral castle and he would not let anything stand in the way of him accomplishing this task.

"Did you have a good nights sleep?" Alexander's mother asked Lanie, breaking the silence at the table, as she passed the basket of freshly baked bread around.

"Yes, thank you. I fell as sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow." She said without thinking, and she thought she heard Alexander's father growl under his breath when he heard her words.

Alexander stiffened, Lanie's words implicated that they did not consummate the marriage. He looked around the table and noticed his brothers were about to burst out with laughter, but their fathers warning glance put a stop to it.

"Your obligation to this family is to sire a son to keep my legacy going, but If you waste your life getting drunk and not performing your duties in bed, you shall never claim the title as heir to Balmoral!" His father growled, "harlot or not, you have an obligation to fulfill!"

If a hundred knives struck Lanie's heart it would have hurt less than at this moment. The Laird's words were cold and without emotion. He did not care that she was here and died a thousand deaths because of his cruelty.

"How dare you speak such words in front of Lanie! Shame on you husband, I thought you were better than that." His wife told him, humiliating him in front of everyone in the dining room, and to Lanie's surprise, the Laird did not say a single word back to his wife. He clamped his mouth shut and started eating his food.

Katarina who sat next to her mother threw Lanie an apologetic look, and Lanie knew that her cheeks were flaming red from embarrassment and she had lost her appetite. They all thought her a harlot. Her husband didn't even come to her defense!

Not another word was spoken at the table, everyone ate in silence and Lanie just wanted to run for her life. Her pride did not allow for her to spill any tears in their presence.

Aindrea sat quietly observing everyone at the table and wondered why his brother allowed such talk about his wife, if it were him, harlot or not, he would have turned the table upside down if anyone talked about his wife in this way. What the hell was wrong with Alexander?

After the servants cleaned up the dirty plates and placed platters of pastries and fruits on the tables around the dining room, conversation flowed with ease and the tension in the air was gone, but Lanie could not lift her head up, because she was still feeling the heat from the Lairds insults, and her husbands lack of attention. He should have come to her defense, she thought sadly. What man would allow such talk about his wife, and do nothing about it? He should have stepped up to his father and forbidden him to disgrace her.

Alexander's headache had gotten worse, his head throbbed and his thoughts were all over the place. He was married to a harlot and he would never hear the end of it from his family. One of his many mistresses had threatened him, and his father was pushing him to his limits!

Deciding a walk in the gardens would do wonders to clear his head of his headache, Alexander decided to take his wife with him, and show her the grounds of Balmoral castle. Leaning his head down to Lanie's, he whispered in her ear, "Would you like to take a stroll in the gardens with me?"

She wanted to tell her husband to go to hell, but the Laird had fixed his eyes on her, and watched her like a hawk, so she bit her tongue. She nodded not trusting herself to speak, and plastered a fake smile on her face.

Alexander took her hand in his and pulled her to her feet. Lanie heart sank when she heard the Laird curse under his breath as they walked away from the table. In the great hall, Alexander let go of his wife's hand since they were not under the careful scrutiny of his father anymore and he walked ahead of her out into the courtyard.

Lanie followed close behind him and could not help it when her eyes glided over Alexander's tall, lean body that rippled with every step that he took. His shoulders were broad, his arms were muscular, and his waist was trim. His legs were long and lithe and he walked with pride.

He suddenly turned and faced her, his stance revealed great strength and high rank, and his dark and potent gaze was fixed upon her, and a shiver kissed her spine despite the warm air that circled around her. He was a formidable temptation, but she knew in her heart that it would be dangerous to allow any feeling to surface, because he didn't love her, he only married her to sire a son that will carry on the family name. For him it was a marriage of convenience, and she had to make sure that she doesn't forget it ever.

"Come." His voice was deep and rich, and his thick hand reached out to grab hers.

The mere touch of him when he took her hand in his had her knees trembling, but she did everything in her power to ignore the feeling. He pulled her gently with him through the arch of the entrance way to the gardens, that was decorated with climbing roses. They walked along the cobbled pathway that was flanked with scattered violets, and she almost lost her footing, Alexander tightened his hold on her to make sure she didn't fall.

When they walked deep into the gardens, the scent of lavender was in the air. Lanie's eyes took in the breathtaking view before her, and she felt a sense of peace and tranquility. The Druidess heard flowing water and scanned the gardens until she found the jewel of the garden. A magnificent structural water fountain that sprayed water from all around it. The cascading water flowed with ease and the sound of splashing water brought forth a sense of spiritual healing, meditation and reflection.

"Can we stop and sit over here?" Lanie asked, pointing to the stone bench that was conveniently a few feet away from the water fountain.

Alexander walked her to the stone bench, letting go of her hand, he sat down next to her and remained quiet for a while, as he watched Lanie close her eyes and relax. She looked at peace, and Alexander had to admit to himself that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on.

Lanie always celebrated the sacredness that provided a place for quiet contemplation, it always helped her heal her aching heart. She took a deep breath of inhalation and allowed her heart to free itself from anything that was connected to pain.

"You seem at peace Lanie, I envy that." Alexander told her as he too closed his eyes and tried to release his pain, and set himself free. For years he had come here searching for peace, and was unable to find it, but today, at this transcendent moment with Lanie next to him, he finally accomplished it.

Many moments passed before they both opened their eyes, and for a second nothing existed but the both of them. "You bring me peace, and for that I am grateful." He told her as he pushed a strand of hair away from her face. "No one has ever done that for me, ever!"

"It makes me happy to hear you say that, at least I'm good for something!" She said, with a hint of laughter in her voice.

"You are good for more than that Lanie." He said in a husky tone of voice, before his head came down and his full lips brushed over hers.

Thank you for your votes and comments xoxxoxoxxoxo xox