Chapter 38: Unexpected

Start from the beginning

** ** **

 "I knew this was a bad idea."

Louis ignored the comment, keeping his gaze steady and calm as he thought quietly to himself. His slender fingers tapped rhythmically against the steering wheel and because of it, my eyes stayed trained on them. Never missing a beat.

I could hear Zayn and Danielle whispering furiously to one another in the back seat. I made no move to look back, though, because it was obvious they were alarmed. They had every right to be worried and confused. And I wasn't just saying this because I was worried. I'm not worried.

It all became silent again, save for the urgent whispers and Louis' constant tapping on the steering wheel. I sat back in my seat, trying to breath calmly through my nose, and shut my eyes. Though, when you have your eyes closed, it's said that your senses are much more aware of things. Like right now, I was sure I could hear the faint grumble coming from the engine. Which is practically impossible because the car is always so damn quiet.

I clenched my fists together, gripping the edge of my seat, and willed the familiar bubble of panic in my gut to disappear. Just because it's there doesn't mean I'm worried. Ha....right?

The hum of the engine grew louder, making me flinch. I shut my eyes tighter and practically bit my tongue as I did so. It became eerily silent the next second. It was almost as if every sound had completely vanished and--

Tap, tap, tap.

Oh forget it. I was freaking out.

 I popped my eyes open and tried to force away my growing anxiety. To pass it off, I brought my eyes over to Louis and instantly forced all my fear to hide in my usual calm facade. I tried to show that I wasn't just having a panic attack a few seconds ago and it seemed to work considering none of them asked if I was okay.