25 - accident, much?

☆ ✱ ☆

Stiles motioned his hands towards my room, "Can I come in?"

I nodded my head, "Yeah, of course." I widened the door open even more, allowing him to step in. He was slow about it. He was jittery. He was playing around with the fingers of his hands. He always did that when he was anxious.

I closed the door of my room and turned back to see him standing still in the middle of my room, looking down at his hands. I carefully stood in front of him, getting his attention. He lifted his head to face me; I got a good look of his face now. Red was tinted around his irritated eyes. He quickly wiped his glassed eyes with the back of his trembling hand and sniffed his nose.

"Um..." His voice was shaky. "My dad."

My eyes widened in worry and panic, "What happened? Did something happen to him?" I frantically looked into his eyes.

He managed to shake his head in disagreement, "No...uh..." He sniffed once more and took a quick breath to steady himself, "He, uh, he got drunk...well I got him drunk." He clarified, not looking at me but at his hands and at my floor. I escorted him to my bed, where he and I sat close to each other. I continued to listen intently.

"I did it to relieve him from all the stress of the cases he had been, uh, working on. But...I also did it to get more insight of those cases. He never really budges whenever I ask about them as he's sober." His leg continuously shook up and down.

He pressed his lips shut and anxiously rubbed his hands together. It was hard for him to continue. I could tell he was trying his best not to break down into a panic attack. I act the same way. I knew how he felt and It hurt my heart just seeing him this way.

He cleared his throat, "He was so out of it that...that he mentioned mom."

His mom. The brightest and most woman that has ever existed. Hearing Stiles mentioning her broke me once again. He rarely talked about her since her passing when we were kids. The older he got, the less he'd mention her. Today was the first time I've heard about her again from him in years. I'm guessing it's the first time as well for Stiles from his dad.

"He confessed how much...how much he missed her," He continued, his voice trembling. He shook his head repeatedly, "He never talks about her, Adaline. Never. It's been...years."

My heart wrenched in pain seeing him like this and hearing about her again. I found myself gently placing my hand on Stiles' cheek to comfort him as I gave him a sad smile.

His eyes finally reached mine. They were dark and glassed over with unshed tears. They weren't the usual bright hazel they always were. He intently looked at me, as if studying me instead of studying on his hands like he was a few seconds ago. His broken stare made my chest hurt even more. Without thinking, I wrapped my arms over his cold body and pulled him into a tight embrace. Once he realized what I was doing, he relaxed and tightened his grip on me. Tighter than mine. He held on as if I would leave.

Why would I?

Never.

His body trembled as he held on for dear life; his fingers barely digging into my back; his face in the crook of my neck. He let in and out a few deep breaths and as he did that, his body began to relax and stay still. He was regaining warmth again. What a nice feeling it was. I let out a breath of relief as well, gripping him tighter.