19 - many fish in the sea

☆ ✱ ☆

𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙍𝘿 𝙋𝙊𝙑

"Tag, you're it!" Stiles tapped her on the shoulder before running off into the field.

"I thought we already ended the game, asswipe!!" Adaline shouted with laughter.

Stiles clumsily stumbled over his feet and spun around to face her. "You better calm the language before your mom beats your ass!"

Adaline rolled her eyes playfully, "She can't hear me, dummy. She's all the way over there!" She pointed over her house a few feet away. "Besides, I'm old enough to swear."

He let out contagious laughter then narrowed his eyes at her. "Shut up, you're only thirteen."

"And you're twelve!" She pointed a finger at him.

"I'm about to turn thirteen," he clarified.

"Scott is also twelve. He swears more than me."

He smiled as he shook his head, "Anyways, I bet you're not fast enough to tag me back!"

Adaline playfully rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. She began to tap her shoe against the grass and just waited. He then impatiently groaned and began to walk towards her direction. As soon as he was close enough she lightly hit him on the head and bolted off running.

"Hey! That's not fair!" She heard him yell with laughter from behind.

"Girls are pretty tricky, ya know!" Her voice trembled as her feet slipped outwards on the wet grass as she made a turn to the left.

The warm afternoon air dried her throat and lungs as she inhaled deeper, faster. Out of the corner of her eye she saw him coming towards her. She tried to jump out of the way but it was too late.

"I gotcha!" He shouted, suddenly grabbing onto her bare shoulders. He held on too hard that she stumbled backwards and both of them collapsed to the hard ground.

The kids laid beside each other and desperately heaved for air. Both of their chests lifted and dropped in sync whilst they watched the stars appear across the dark sky. The milky speckles twirled and danced along the sky in various patterns, tugging at the corners of Adaline's lips in a way that almost made her smile. It was hard to shove aside the worries corrupting her mind. She sighed and turned her head towards Stiles, who already had his eyes on her.

"Do you think that we'll continue being best friends? You, Scott, and I?" She asked, hoping that the answer would be a yes.

He stood silent for a moment before looking up at the night sky. "We are. I know it." He nodded.

"How?" Adaline questioned in curiosity.

He simply shrugged his small shoulders and glanced back at his best friend. "I can just...feel it...ya know?"

She nodded and continued to stare above. The glitter in the sky looks as if she could scoop it all up in her hands and let the stars swirl and touch one another but they are so distant, so far apart that they cannot feel the warmth of each other even though they are made of burning gas.