9 - a book

THIRD PERSON

✱ ☆

The frigid, cold wind hit her warm skin while she steadily declined her bicycle from the rapid movement. She hopped up from the small area she was sat in and placed her bike next to a pole.

Surely nobody would steal it...right?

She cringed at thought but decided just to leave it there and quickly sprint inside to grab what she needed and return.

"Hey, Adaline right?" A deep, familiar voice filled her ears. Her body instantly froze and she swore under her breath.

"Yes, that's correct." She forced a smile through her teeth up at the teenage guy who wore a large leather jacket over his broad shoulders. A smirk tugged his lips at her. Typical.

He cocked his head to the side, shoving his hands inside the pockets of his jacket. "What are you doing here all alone?"

"Just came by to check out a book....to help for some essay." She pointed to the public library next to the small movie store.

"Jackson!" A red head called out, peaking out the window of his car, giving him a tough glare. He sighed and rolled his eyes in annoyance, finally entering the movie store.

Adaline smiled awkwardly and wrapped her sweater around her body, her cold finger tips tightening on the thin fabric. Her fragile hands couldn't stand the cold weather, not even a second.

Lydia twirled her red hair around her finger, "Well, well, what do we have here...Scott's big sis."

Adaline sniffed and quickly wiped her red nose with her sleeve, "Yes, it's me."

"Hm, so what are you doing here?" The ginger squinted her emerald eyes.

"Uh," She pointed over to the library, " Just came to check out a book to help me with an essay."

"Oh...I know what you're talking about. Mrs. Clarke already let us borrow the books for that essay. Didn't you get one?" She spoke as she applied lip gloss to her lips whilst looking through a small mirror that she slipped from her bag.

"Um, yeah, but I left it in my locker. Forgot to get it..." Adaline's raspy voice slowly declined, inviting an awkward silence. The only thing you could hear was the constant sniffing.

Lydia pulled the mirror from her face and scrunched her nose. "Looks like you need a tissue, sweetheart."

"I guess I do. Do you have some by any chance?"

"Nope! But i'm pretty sure there is some in the building. Bye bye." Lydia blew a quick kiss, the window of the car closing the contact between them.

"Okie dokie..." she sighed and pulled
away from the black vehicle.

Books, books, books, so many books...where is the one I'm looking for?

Her fingers swiftly traveled from shelf to shelf. She couldn't seem to find the book. Her eyes scanned through the history section but also didn't see any sign whatsoever.

Nothing

That's when a pang of nausea and dizziness hit her like crazy. She put her cold hand over her head and shut her eyes tightly. She didn't even know why she suddenly felt like this. She didn't feel like this earlier. She only had a small cold, that's all.

She hurriedly bolted out the library and coughed continuously for a while then took in a sharp gasp of breath, the frigid air traveling through her sore throat.

In a moment of seconds, she heard glass shatter from beside her and getting knocked to the hard concrete.

      ✱   ☆