Chapter 24

Cleo's eyes snapped open. She found herself on a bed covered with bandages. She didn't get the stench of antiseptic so she wasn't in the hospital. Instead of white walls and dull curtains, the walls were painted a comforting blue color and the curtains were cream with tulip patterns on it. She looked to her side. On the dresser was a heater. She wasn't sure what to do. Was she kidnapped? Should she scream or try to escape? Or just enjoy the comfort the room made her feel? It had homely and warm feel making her racing heart relax. She tried getting up but winced, falling back on the bed that was very comfy.

She heard the door swing open. She snapped her head to the door and sighed in relief as Jordan's familiar face came into view, a smug smile on his face.

"You're awake. Finally" he said, relieved.

Cleo raised a brow"Finally?"

He walked in closing the door and taking a seat on her bed. He nodded

"You've been in and out of consciousness these few days"

"How long have I been out?"

"A week"

"A week is not so long. I've been out longer" she smiled

Jordan frowned
"This isn't funny Cleo. I told you to stay put"

"I know I know. I'm sorry" she apologized

Jordan sighed "It's okay. I was just  worried about you."

Cleo's face grew warm instantly.
How does he do that?!

She coughed awkwardly

"Where am I? This isn't your house"

"It is my house. My own house."

Of course he owned his own house, despite just being a seventeen year old highschool student. Cleo wasn't even surprised. Perks of being a rich kid.

"I'm guessing your dad doesn't know about this"

He shrugged "There are a lot of things my dad doesn't know about" She noticed how his expression changed from relieved to angry. Maybe he and his dad had problems. She felt him clutch her blanket so tightly his veins bulged. She placed her hand on his knuckles. He flinched a bit at how cold her hands were but began to relax releasing the blanket.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"Cleo asked. Jordan didn't reply. He just stared at her and smiled.

"You remind me of my mom"he said after a while

"Really?"

Jordan nodded, that smile still on his face

"Yeah. I wish you could meet her. She would have liked you"

She stared at him, confused. Jordan was quiet again before he continued.

"My dad was happier then. We were all happy. We would do everything together. Play together, watch movies together," He laughed
"It was perfect. But mom passed away. She died of leukemia." His lips started quivering.
"Dad tried everything he could to save her. He brought the best doctors but they just couldn't save her. After she died, dad didn't eat for two weeks. He went to her grave everyday and he still does. Mom's death-" tears rolled down his cheeks. He didn't want to feel like this. He didn't want to be scared, alone and vulnerable. He'd locked up this side of him the moment his dad changed. His mom was literally everything to them. He felt himself being pulled into a warm embrace. Slender hands stroking his hair and rubbing soothing circles on his back. He had so much hurt locked inside himself for so long the shield he built around himself had completely crumbled as those slender arms comforted him. He held Cleo tight.