Chapter 39

"Are you sure you don't want me to kill him?" Jordan asked for like the umpteenth time since they left the amusement park. Cleo smiled, she never had anyone fuss over her like this. They were too busy being dead.

She sighed
"Jordan, I told you I'm good. I took care of it"

"Sure?"

She groaned "I'm very sure"

"If you say so"he said, finally dropping it.

"You're such a mom"

"I'm not. I'm just worried about you" he replied honestly, taking her bandaged hand and planting a kiss on it making Cleo blush. She looked away, coughing awkwardly "Well..um..thanks"

"Anything for you"he winked, kissing her hands once more

They finally got to Chris's residence. The lights were out indicating her friends were either asleep or out. Her guess was the former. The dark skinned girl and the Asian boy stood on the porch, still holding hands and blushing

"So you're gonna leave now"she started, nervously fiddling with her skirt.

He shrugged"I can stay, if you want me to that is"

"I would like that but it's already late."

He nodded, smiling"Yeah"

"I had fun today. I can't wait for another date"

Jordan chuckled"I had fun too and I'm looking forward to another date as well. I was thinking something more..I don't know..classy? Since we'll be going out as an official couple"

Cleo's eyes widened as she went red all the way to the tip of her ears

"Official c-couple?" She stuttered

"Yeah. Relax Cleo, I was kidding"he smirked as he added "Maybe"

She jabbed him by the side muttering something along the lines of jerk but she had a smile on her face

Jordan's phone vibrated in his pocket. He groaned, making Cleo raise her brow

"What's wrong?"

"It's my dad"

His father, Takashi Hamadai. The one who held her grandmother captive for weeks in a cold room.

"I see" the dark skinned girl replied curtly. The harshness in her voice startled Jordan a bit. And he knew why. She hated his father for what he put her grandmother through.

Jordan had a sad smile on his face as Cleo's hands trembled against his
"He's not so bad you know"

Cleo just snorted "Of course he's not so bad. He is your father!"

What was happening? This wasn't how he expected the date to end? Why is this happening now?

"Cleo, I know you have no reason to believe me but my dad is not a bad person" Jordan said. He wasn't defending his father, he was just being honest.

Cleo knew Takashi Hamadai wasn't initially a bad person, after all no one in the world is born inherently evil. Takashi Hamadai was a monster created by her grandfather's envy. She knew Takashi had suffered enough. Watching his father get murdered by the man he once considered an uncle and then losing his wife to Leukemia. Of course he'd be overwhelmed by the grief and pain that he tried to forget by focusing all his efforts on revenge.

She understood all too well but her grandmother was innocent. She actually had nothing to do with any of this but yet she was dragged in and hurt because of one man. The dark skinned girl let out a sigh. If she could forgive the said man who basically made her existence miserable, not forgiving the broken Takashi Hamadai would be hypocritical!