Chapter 18

Cleo opened her eyes. The bright golden rays of the sun hurt as it hit her causing her to cover her eyes with her hand. It was as though she was locked in a dark room for days. She never knew the sun she loved so much would hurt her. She tried to move but felt sharp pain shoot throughout her body so she gave up and lay back down.

She examined her surroundings. The dojo? She didn't remember getting here. The last thing she remembered was Yoshi having so much fun shoving her against the wall continuously.

It hurt. It hurt alot. But those  kids were safe and that's all mattered. The pain was worth it.

Her friends and her grandfather were absent. She hoped they were okay. Soon she heard incoming footsteps and once the door squeaked open, the familiar faces of Chris and Anida peered down at her. They looked very surprised and shocked or a mix of both. Anida ran to her, hugging her tightly.

"Cleo"she said sobbing. Chris just stared as though he saw a ghost.

"Anida. Can't breathe"she mumbled

"Sorry" Anida apologized, releasing her.

She instantly noticed the dark circles under their eyes. They looked sleep and food deprived. Most of all, they were worried and scared.

"How long have I been out?"

"Three weeks"Chris answered

"Three weeks!"she yelled shooting up, then groaned while holding her side.

"That's why I suddenly hate the sunlight"she joked

Her friends were in no mood for jokes.
"We were worried sick. You weren't moving for two weeks. You looked broken and lifeless. It took a lot of everything Sensei knew to revive you. You lost a lot of blood and fractured most of your bones. What if-"Anida's tears choked her. They rolled down her cheeks. Cleo hugged her friend. Anida's sobbing turned to wailing as she pat her gently. No wonder they looked miserable. Her heart ached for them. She couldn't possibly imagine what they went through. Waiting on her day and night. Wondering if she would actually make it.

"It's okay. Don't cry. I'm alive aren't I?"she said smiling. Anida's wails dissolved into soft sobs.

"Okay?!"Chris said incredulously.

"Yes Chris"

He laughed humorlessly "IT'S NOT OKAY!"he yelled."What if you died on us Cleo? HUH CLEO!!WHAT IF YOU DIED?!!"

The tears he fought so hard to keep in forced it's way out. Cleo was just shocked. She hadn't seen him like this before. Her broken state probably triggered memories of his deceased dad who had been murdered. She broke the hug with Anida and crawled to Chris. She wrapped her arms around him. He hugged her tightly, burying his face in her shoulder. Her jasmine scent filling his nose. She stroked his back as Chris cried harder. Cleo's one of his best friends. The thought of losing her totally scared the hell out of him. He didn't want to lose anyone else.

"I was scared Cleo"he whimpered"I was so scared"

"Its okay. I'm alive"she cooed as she rubbed his back

Chris tried to stop but it just kept coming. His tears wetting her clothes. His arms crushing her already fractured bones. Anida hugged her from behind, still sobbing.
"It's okay. I'm okay."Cleo said smiling, tears running down her face as well.

Her grandfather was so happy to see her. He didn't cry but he held her so tight she could feel the rest of her unbroken bones breaking. She was the last family he had alive. It scared him greatly.

People in school thought she got into a car accident. So no one knew about her play date with Yoshi. Turns out loads of people cared, sending get well soon cards and flowers. Chris and Anida were back to their normal selves. It was nice. It was really good to be back.