"Watch out!"

A multicolored shield lit up from everyone who could contribute magic, the dragon's fire scorching surrounding buildings. Panicked screams erupted as the flames licked at their heels.

"Hey, are the bridges alright?"

"Yes, but I'm not sure how long it'll last at this rate!"

"Then get everyone moving!"

Carthadeus turned to Silvina sharply. "Once they're safe, we're gonna need to start attacks immediately. Got it?"

"Got it. We wailing on it or trying coordinations?"

"Absolutely go wild until we have some semblance of a plan."

Silvina grinned, her eyes wild with adrenaline. "I hear you loud and clear."

The chime of a bell was heard, stopping the dragon from aiming another breath as the rest of the surrounding area froze.

"How long can you hold it?"

Nagan's forehead dripped with perspiration and blood as he ground his teeth in concentration. "You got two minutes, but I think the dragon's trying to break through!"

"You heard him! Two minutes! Keep the bridges intact and crowd moving!"

"Carth—"

An explosion sounded from above them, sending whoever closest flying back with a flash of light, accompanied by a roar.

"I thought you said two minutes!"

"I told you it was fighting it!" Nagan staggered and swayed dangerously, clutching his head with his face contorted in pain. "Where's the one with the tethered binding?"

"You're in no shape to continue—"

"Tell me where he is."

Carthadeus hesitated. "I'll find him while you go get a medic. Your circuit needs to be realigned, especially after that broken spell. Get that cut sealed up too while you're at it."

Nagan nodded reluctantly before retreating to the side where the medics stood, another taking his place as soon as he got there.

In truth, it didn't take long to find the one with binding magic, but it was long enough for Nagan to have been already thrown back into the fight, the cut on his forehead still oozing and the bruise around it darkening. Carthadeus could only hope he at least took his advice and got his circuit realigned.

"I found him, now what?" he said while pulling a skittish looking teen behind him, though eager to help.

"Can your binding reach up there?" Nagan pointed to the dragon.

"Y-Yes, but-but...um...I-I-I've tr...t-tried that...alread-d-dy. W-With—th the...the d-d-d-d-dragon m—moving-g, it-it-it does—sn't stay...um...stay-stay on—n w-w-well."

"Good thing it won't be moving. Get ready, and make sure the binding's tight."

The other didn't have time to question what he meant before his gaze set on the dragon. "Sor vak!"

With a shudder, the dragon froze and began to plummet towards the ground.

"Watch out!"

Mages scattered before the dragon crash into the ground, the earth trembling on impact, and dust filled the air.

"Bind it!"

A string of green light shot into the dust cloud, Nagan running after it and disappearing. Everyone held their breath, only to hear nothing. A wind affinity cleared the air after a tense few seconds. They weren't expecting to see the sight before them.

The dragon laid motionless, the green tether binding its wings, legs, and jaw tight, while Nagan stood next to its eye.

Carthadeus was the first to approach. "Care to explain what you did or what you're doing?"

Nagan only motioned to the dragon's eye, a sympathetic look in his gaze.

At closer inspection, it was clear there was something terribly wrong. You didn't need to be a dragon expert to see it. The dragon's eye was rotated upward at an unnatural angle, its pupil barely even a slit, seeming to disappear within the bright orange iris. In addition to that, it held a glossy sheen. It was as if it was dead, yet they could hear the gentle whoosh of the dragon's breathing.

"I've never seen or read anything like this," Carthadeus admitted.

"Good. This shouldn't be something you can find in a school book."

"Then...what is it?"

Nagan chewed on his bottom lip before answering. "The complete Ritual of Will. It...it can eradicate the will of anything it's used on, and it can't be reversed. It's found in the Codex of Drakarmir."

Carthadeus' mouth formed into an "o" as the reality of what he said sunk in. So that meant this was definitely the Kinsmen's doing...but to harm such a magnificent and ancient creature like this.

Something fluttered to the side, and his gaze fell on a simple sheet of paper on the dragon's neck. On the paper was a deep red circle with unfamiliar symbols drawn on it. He reached out to take it, thinking it was some additional spell the Kinsmen put on the dragon, but a bronzed hand was quick to stop him.

"I wouldn't touch that if I were you," Nagan warned, slowly letting go of Carthadeus' wrist.

"Is it also from the Codex?"

Nagan didn't reply. Instead, he motioned for the binding to be released, which was done so reluctantly. Everyone watching held their breath, only for it to be released in a collective sigh of relief as the dragon remained motionless.

"Stand."

No one knew how or why, but as the command was uttered, the dragon rose slowly to its feet. Its eyes remained unmoving.

While everyone's gaze fixated on the dragon, no one noticed the black shadow cross over Nagan's eyes as the mark on the paper slowly seeped off onto the dragon's scales. The paper harmlessly fluttered away in the wind.

"We should see how the others are doing back at the castle. It's been oddly silent," Nagan observed.

Carthadeus nodded. "We can keep Teams One, Two, and Five here to make sure the townspeople return safely while the rest of us head back."

•___________________•

*walks into view sheepishly* how many of y'all are mad this it waaaay late? Hahahahahahaha...

To be fair, I kinda have a legitimate reason XD except how I literally forgot to write anything on July 4th weekend XD that was my bad

But get this. After that, the wifi was being all weird and slow, so it was harder to write in general, but THEN, my home nearly had an electrical fire cause lo and behold, the grounding wire was like completely severed. That was why the wifi was being weird, and then after that was more no wifi and electricity until the electric company came and fix it.

So here I am XD I'm baaaaaaaaack with a surprisingly long chapter for being 99% dialogue