CHAPTER 7

"So a key and a diary." Sungcheol examined the items, "The diary will tell us a lot of things but what about the key?"

"We'll get to know." Soonyoung said. They had met up in one of the corridors. "Now what?"

"I think we shouldn't bother for the night. Let's go to sleep and start off again tomorrow."

They retired for the night. Sleep didn't seem to be in anyone's schedule that day. They were too scared to close their eyes. A little bit of carelessness and they're dead. But then, tiredness took over, and they fell asleep.

*

The next morning, they woke up unfresh. None of them had got any proper sleep. In the morning, ray of sunlight entered through the windows illuminating the house. It looked less scary. It was a beautiful house but the horrors of what they faced last night, were enough to overlook this fact.

They forcefully shoved some food inside their mouths. None of them wanted to eat but they had to survive.

Wonwoo had told them of what lay in the diary and that he would like to continue reading it to know exactly what happened.

It was 10am. It had been over 12 hours in the house but their discovery was close to nothing.

"I think we should split up." Seungkwan said, "I know that is the last thing we must do when we are in a haunted house, but... we'll get the work done faster this way."

"That is stupid." Minghao said, "How will we contact one another when our phones aren't working?"

"Oh shit! Let's decide on a meeting point. The foyer. That will be where we meet."

"I don't think that's a good idea, Seungkwan." Hansol said, "That's too dangerous."

"But the work will be done faster." Soonyoung said, "Maybe he's right."

"But we'd be without protection." Wonwoo said.

"I have knives." Junhui said, "I can distribute it among us."

"Our weapons won't be useful in the matter of ghosts anyway." Chan said.

"At least precautions."

So they were split in four groups. One member from each team had a knife.

Sungcheol, Junhui, Minghao and Hansol. They were to investigate the living rooms and libraries.

Mingyu, Jeonghan and Chan. They were supposed to see the kitchens.

Soonyoung, Wonwoo and Jihoon were to check on the bedrooms.

And finally Jisoo, Seungkwan and Seokmin were to check on places like the store rooms.

Every team had to meet up in the foyer in one hour. Or otherwise, a search party would be sent for them.

"Alright so," Seungkwan looked at the stairs, "shall we go?"

*

The quadruplet entered one of the living rooms. It was probably the main one as it was huge and the best decorated. A sofa set lay there, which would be termed as elegant had it not been for the cobwebs all around, surrounding an overly decorated centre table. There was a mantelpiece, which should have been... marble perhaps. And other items for decorations.

"It's pretty." Sungcheol said.

"But spooky." Hansol shivered, "I still haven't gotten over the thing that attacked Seungkwan yesterday."

Sungcheol patted his back and they started to search through the room.

"I think this was the place where I got teleported." Minghao said looking at the mirror. "There was... a mirror..." he stared into the mirror, "This mirror..." his voice turned shaky.

"Minghao!" Junhui pulled him away from it, concern written all over his face, "What is it?"

"I... have always been scared of mirrors..." he said breathlessly, "But there's something... different... it's..."

"Shh! It's over!" he squeezed his hand and smiled comfortingly.

"Don't leave me! Please!"

"I won't. C'mon now!"

They started to rummage through the furniture but found nothing fruitful.

"I hate this!" Minghao announced. Then his eyes fell on a huge cupboard, taking up the entire wall. "What's in that?"

They went towards it and tried to pull it open.

"It's locked." Sungcheol said toying with the handles.

"I guess we can try this key." Minghao handed it over to them.

He inserted the key and twisted it. A chink sounded stating that it had been unlocked. He gulped and pulled the doors opened.

There was nothing. Just a wall.

"What if we try to," Minghao put his hand on the wall, "try to push it?" he attempted to do so but stopped short, his eyes wide.

His hands reached to his throat, grabbing onto something invisible. "Guys!" he choked, "Help me!"

The three were horror stricken as they saw a black figure, holding onto Minghao from the back.

"Fuck!" Junhui cursed and slashed the knife across it without thinking.

Minghao fell to his knees coughing heavily and Junhui felt a sharp stinging sensation go across his face.

"You're- you're bleeding!" Hansol choked.

BANG!

The closet was shut close and the doors started banging on their own.

"Minghao!" Sungcheol helped him up, "Get up! We need to get out of here!" and they ran towards the door.

"I'll hold the door!" Sungcheol said grabbing onto the handle, "Get out!"

Holding onto the door was more difficult than he expected, his face turned red and his breathing was heavy from the amount of pressure he was putting, "Get out!"

The three ran outside into the corridor followed by Sungcheol, who was clearly breathless. They stood there, catching their breaths and letting everything sink in.

"Guys!" Hansol whispered, "We're alive!" 

A/N: The closet is important.