Chapter 12: New Home

Happy New Year to you all!! Hope you all have a prosperous new year! Now to the story.

It was now the day after the Dragon onslaught caused by Future Rogue. The town was in shambles, though it could have been worse. Many were injured but thankfully they suffered no casualties. Most of the inns that the guilds were staying in were repaired first, the rest of the town followed after.

The day the Inns were finished, Fairy Tail invited Cobra to stay with them since he didn't look like he was going anywhere. "This is what they have people staying in? They must be pretty cheap.." He mumbled to himself as he walked into their room with 5 beds in it. The others already made themselves comfortable, and Lucy and Wendy decided to share a bed and let Cobra sleep on one. "Thanks. I appreciate it." He flopped down on the bed, sighing of relief and how comfortable it was. "Sure thing Cobra-san. If you don't mind me asking... How come you aren't in prison anymore?" Wendy finally asked, making all eyes turn on him.

"Oh right I never told you, Lahar and Doranbolt came back to the council as soon as the dragons appeared and said they wanted my help. So I gave it to them for something else in exchange." He smirked and the others 'Oh'ed in understanding. "So that's why. So what was it you got in exchange?" Erza asked, Cobra rolled up his sleeves to show his forearms. "Complete Freedom. I'm no longer a prisoner." The others stared in disbelief at his statement. The ones who visited often remembered, he always had those magic sealing cuffs on even when out of his prison cell in order to supress his magic power if he ever misbehaved. "So then... You're really free?!" Natsu asked, looking a bit shocked, but still content. "Yes Natsu.. I'm free to do whatever i-" Before he finished he was tackled by both Natsu and Lucy. "Finally!! We.. I mean you could finally live your own life. And I get a rematch!" Natsu exclaimed hugging him with his arm wrapped around his neck. "I'm so happy for you Cobra! I mean, Erik. Now you can go and look for your friend!" Lucy said happily as she gave him a tight hug, which was clearly suffocating him. After Erza, Wendy and Gray pry'ed them off of him, they all congratulated him and wished him all the best. "Thanks a lot. To be honest, If it weren't for you all... I don't know where I'd be right now." He admitted with a smile, the others also smiled. "If it weren't for you, we all might not have been here sitting and talking. Well.. I guess you all would but not me..." Gray said with his tone quickly changing to a unsure one. "What are you talking about Gray?" Erza asked now concerned. "I don't know how to explain it but, Its like I died but... I was alive.. I think I had a clear vision of me dying and If I didn't have that vision I would have died." They all looked at him shocked, they all had experienced that 'vision' but only Cobra knew what it meant. "It was Ultear." They all looked at him with lost expressions. "Ultear was the one to czuse it. At that time, Everyone had been overwhelmed. Gray you really did die... Others were also being pushed into a corner so, She used a spell called Lost Ages. It reversed time by an entire minute, allowing us to make a comeback." Cobra looked as if he was thinking about something else, which Erza noticed, but didn't say anything. "That's awesome! She can change time now!?" "I have to see her. Its all thanks to her that we're alive and survived. Cobra, you know where she is?" Cobra looked up again, snapping out of his thoughts. "No. I don't."

It was now late at night, everyone had gone to sleep besides Cobra who was on the balcony, looking at the town that was already half way rebuilt. "To think they'd finish this much already." "Just goes to show how skilled and fast the magicians are here." Erza said as she walked beside him. "Why aren't you asleep?" Cobra scoffed and continued looking forward. "Not tired..." Erza leaned against the railing and began staring out as well. "When you were explaining what happened with us and Ultear, you seemed to be hiding something. Did something happen with her?" Cobra sighed. "Nothing gets by you.. As usual." Erza smiled and laughed. "Ultear. She technically died." Erza went speechless as she looked to Cobra. "Using Lost Ages takes away the casters own time away from them. And reverses time. Its like saying their life's value is turned back by that much. And it was only a minute." Erza fell silent as she looked away. "I see. So that's why you didn't tell Gray. But how did you know?" "How else? I heard it. Nothing escapes my ears... Not even you and Jellal." Cobra wore a devilish smirk on his face as he spoke. Erza's face almost turned the color of her hair. "W-What are you talking about!? We.. We were fighting the whole-" "Sure you were. Fighting Jellal's tongue maybe.." Cobra said with a snicker as he walked back inside. "Good Night." He left a now deeply shaded red Erza outside on the balcony.

The next morning, they were all woken up by the sound of hard knocking against their door. Wendy was the first to get up and answer it, only to find Mirajane and Kinana standing outside. "Good Morning Wendy!" Mirajane wore her usual bright smile. "Good morning Mira-san.. How come you're here so early?" Wendy asked letting them come in and sit on the chair near the door. "The King has invited us to his Grand Ball to celebrate the defeat of the Dragons! So we came to let you all know." Kinana explained, causing a few others to wake up. "Sounds fun! Will there be food!?" Natsu asked making the other sweat drop. "Idiot. That's the only thing you're thinking of?" The two started arguing, waking Erza and Lucy up. Erza of course, was furious. "You two... Its TOO EARLY FOR THIS ABSURD FIGHTING!" She got up and drew a sword which forced them to stop and apologize on their knees. "You people are so noisy..." Cobra said as he rolled over and sat up.

After they all go up and was fully awake, Mirajane explained to them all about the Grand Ball and how they were invited. "Seems interesting. But I doubt I'll go." Cobra said causing the others to stare at him. "Why not? It'll be fun!" "I don't have anything fancy to wear. On top that I-" He fell silent for a while as he heard something very familiar. He noticed it came from Kinana. She had been staring at him since he woke up and were talking but it never bothered him, until just now. He could feel the presence of his old friend, Cubellious. "Something wrong?" Natsu asked placing a hand on his shoulder. "Huh...? No. I'm fine." He shook the feeling away. "Most of us don't have anything, which is why we're gonna be going to the different clothing stores this afternoon. The town has been fully repaired throughout the night." They all headed out to the balcony as she said that and saw that the town was indeed fully restored. "These people work fast.." Lucy said completely surprised. "Also Cobra.." Upon hearing his name, he walked back inside to them. "The Master would like to speak with you later about something." Mirajane gave him one of her comforting smiles as she spoke. "Alright. Thanks." The two got up and bid them farewell. Cobra couldn't help but feel the same as he did before seeing her leave with Mira. "That girl.. She.. She can't be.." He mumbled to himself, telling himself that it was impossible.

After spending the morning getting something to eat and looking around Crocus, they all headed back to their Inn to wait for when Mira and the others would show up, only to find them already there, in their room. "Oh, I thought Mira said later on today... And how did you get in here?" Grays said and asked as they all walked in. "She said this afternoon.. Not later. And its 12:03pm now.." Cobra said bypassing them all and going on the balcony. "Yes! See? Cobra understood." Mira wore her regular bright smile as she spoke. "That's only because he heard your thoughts." Erza argued, which didn't seem to phase her. "That's even better, right?"

"You wanted to see me Master Makarov?" Makarov had been out on the Balcony sitting on the railing. "Yes... First of all I'd like to thank you for your assistance against the Dragons. Without you we may not have won." Cobra sighed and looked towards. "Don't thank me for that. Either way I would have fought them. When they first appeared I could tell even in jail, And I had a burning desire to fight. So-" He stopped when he saw Makarov change to a serious expression. "I know what you gained for doing it, regardless. You went the extra mile for those brats in there. And that's what I'm thanking you for." Cobra looked at him surprised and smiled. "The council contacted me." Cobra's expression dropped when. He heard of them, thinking that they may have turned back on their deal and take him back. "They asked that I keep an eye over you, to ensure you don't cause any more trouble, however I don't see it that way." He raised a brow at him feeling confused. Even with the ability to hear a persons thoughts, it didn't work on Makarov. "This is going to be me preventing you from falling to the dark side again." Cobra was left speechless. "I know of everything you've been through thanks to Natsu and the others, so its not a surprise that you have followed the path that you did. A little while longer and that too may have happened with Erza. The world is cruel, and so we need to look out for each other, especially we old people on young ones such as yourself." The others were now at the door, listening to Makarov's speech to a surprised-looking Cobra. They all made a sound of agreement, making Cobra notice them. "Thank you. If it wasn't for them I may have still been in the darkness. You raised some good kids there, Master Makarov." Makarov extended his hand out to him for a handshake. "How about you call me, 'Master' instead? Members needn't be so formal." He took and shook his hand nodding in agreement. Natsu and the others rushed onto the Balcony. "Welcome to Fairy Tail!"