Chapter 16: Current Standing

After about two weeks of their little fight, Natsu was back to his regular self. Doing jobs with the team, picking fights with any random person in the guild, especially Gray. Though Gray and Natsu seemed to have gotten closer. The insults weren't as frequent and but they still fought. Due to going on jobs just about every day, they hadn't seen much of Cobra but they knew he was around. Mira had told them that he's been doing jobs about everyday, just not ones that go too far from Magnolia.

Team Natsu were currently in the guild chatting and eating, unlike the rest of the guild, their attention shift to the person walking in from the double doors. It was Cobra. Wearing the outfit from the whole Nirvana incident. White Lab Coat, black undershirt and Red Pants with a Black Pattern in it. He hailed a few of the members before walking over to the request board. He looked at a few flyers before finally picking one and turning around to head to Mira. His gaze caught sight of Team Natsu, that had been staring at him. He smiled at them and walked off to Mira. Lucy smiled and sighed, grateful that he was okay. Erza folded her arms and made a contented sound, Natsu and Gray just went back to what they were doing, ignoring the fact. Which Lucy didn't miss.

It was now nighttime, Natsu, Lucy and Gray had left the guild at the same time to go home. Natsu and Gray had been talking the entire time, making Lucy feel like the third wheel. They usually fought and argue but now wasn't the case, and she made it her mission to find out what was going on. After walking a while and Gray went a different direction to his place, Natsu offered to walk Lucy home. The two walked and talked, but she changed the conversation pretty fast. "So Natsu. You and Gray are.. Really friendly now. Did something happen?" Natsu had his arms behind his head, his expression dropping before answering. "I don't know what you're talking about.. We're the same as ever." He lied. "Come on Natsu! I can tell when someone's feelings change towards another you know! Just like with Cobra." He looked at her a little surprised and stopped. "Lucy, What are you talking about?" She stopped and walked closer to him. "I can tell.. You like Cobra. A lot. You acted like someone had stolen your heart on many ocassions." She said with a devious smirk. "You read too much into things Lucy. But..." "But?!" "I did.. Kind of like him.. But not anymore."

Natsu's expression was a little sad at first but changed to a happy one quick. "He.. He's not the kind of guy for me.. He always complain about stuff and.. He always talks shit to and of me.. I hate that." Lucy stood there with a sad face. She knows what he has done before wasn't really him talking shit, just a way to convince him of his attitude. "Besides.. That day we had the fight.. He started it in the first place! He didn't even apologize.. I got pissed off with him.. But I felt bad about what I said to him right before he left.. But Gray was there.. And he made me happy again." Lucy was shocked. She couldn't believe what she was hearing Natsu say. "So hold on... You trying to tell me that.. Gray is.." "Yes. For a few days now.." She stood silent for a while. Thinking if whether he was telling the truth or not. "You're always so quick to think about others huh? He isn't lying.." The two spun around and saw Cobra. He was walking down the street in their direction.

Lucy mentally cursed, she knew that he must have heard all they spoke about. "Yeah I did. And I'm glad to know where I stand in all of this." He looked at him with a plain expression before walking past the two. He got stopped by Natsu grabbing his shoulder. "What?" Natsu looked a little sad. "Hold on a second.. I didn't mea-" "You meant every word you said. I have nothing more to say to you. I'm the scumbag that has nothing good to say to you or even about you... Remember? Don't ever say another word to me." He pushed his arm off his shoulder and left them, standing in the middle of the walkway at night, surprised.

After another 30 minutes of walking, Cobra arrived to the place he had been staying. With Saito and his mom, Yoko. It was pretty late so they were already in bed, at least he had a key. He immediately went to the room he was staying in and changed in his sleeping clothes before heading to bed. He laid there and thought for a while, before smiling sadly. "Oh well.. Easy come.. Easy go I guess. I believe that's the right phrase to use in this situation.." He mumbled before falling asleep, a single tear escaping his eye.