Chapter 8: X784

Its been a month since the incident with Cobra and the others. At Fairy Tail, the 8 chosen mages were preparing for the S-Class exam that was going to be held in two weeks, Natsu had been training in the snowy area near to his and Happy's house. His training however seemed distracted as he couldn't stop thinking about Cobra and all that's happened. Happy could tell he was being a bit distracted during his training and decided to investigate. "Hey, Natsu what's going on? You're never distracted like this." He flew over onto Natsu's head, Natsu then took a seat on a boulder. "What ya talkin' about Happy?" He didn't feel the need to tell his best buddy about what he was actually thinking about, but Happy was having none of that. "Come on Natsu, I can see you aren't focusing on your training. You don't usually think of anything so what's bothering now of all times!?" He became a bit irritated by his statement, but decided to tell him. He knows how Happy can be very... Persuasive at times. "Its about Cobra... Remember what I told you happened." Happy noticed how sad he looked, mentioning his name. The day they came back, and told him everything that happened, Natsu seemed to be a bit depressed since then, until he heard of the exam, he had been a lot more cheerful but at times, but still looked depressed at times when he wasn't happy. "I have an idea!" The blue feline just off of his companions head and began flying in front of his face. "Since I'm overseeing your training, if I think you've done well enough, we'll go and visit Cobra before we head to the exam!"

Natsu's expression quickly changed and he was as happy as ever. "Alright! I'm gonna train harder than ever!" Natsu charged into the snow towards the cliff he began climbing to continue his training. Happy has a triumphant grin plastered on his face, he basically killed two birds with one stone. Got rid of Natsu's depression and got him training even harder.

For the next week and a half, Natsu, who was overseen by Happy, trained intensely in preparation for the S-Class exam and in anticipation to go and see Cobra again. He couldn't quite understand it, but he really liked being around Cobra, the same way he likes being around Lucy, just that feeling is intensified even more with him.

Two days before they were to leave for the exam, Natsu, Happy and Lucy decided to go visit Cobra, before the exam began. Erza and Gray were still preparing for the exam, so they didn't go with them. At this time of day, Cobra was just laying down in bed staring blankly out the window. lately he's been pretty silent, even Angel couldn't get anything out of him. The day before, she switched cells because, 'its too boring' as according to her, so Cobra was alone now.

Thinking on how he screwed up, thinking about the life he might have had and also thinking about Natsu. He never really thought about it because it never mattered to him before, but he began thinking he was attracted to another guy. Or maybe its just the way you're supposed to feel about a friend? It was somewhat hard for him to distinguish the feeling, since he's never really had friends before. Cobra wasn't sure, and spent his days thinking of that mostly. A guard walked into the cell room, bringing him back to reality by calling his name. "Cobra! You have visitors!" He instantly knew who it was. He wasn't sure if he should see him or not, but decided not to hide out anymore. "Come unlock this stupid cage then.." As usual, hostile. The guard unlocked his cell and escorted him to the visiting room where the three waited for him.

As he walked in, he was greeted with the usual big grin on Natsu's face and smiles from Happy and Lucy. "Hey! How've you been Cobra?" Lucy asked cheerfully, no matter how irritated or angry Cobra was walking into that room, seeing them, especially Natsu, he calmed down and took a seat. "Fine... Nothing to do as usual." Cobra scratched his head, it seemed a bit awkward talking to them like this, but he didn't know why. "How's your eye? Does it.. Hurt or anything?" Natsu asked now staring at him. Cobra grunted before answering. "No.. It doesn't. Just need to get used to seeing through one side only..." He said nonchalantly. Natsu smiled and began to tell him about the S-Class exam and how they were going to Fairy Tails' sacred grounds. Cobra listened to him attentively and noticed, he did look a little more muscular, he realized he had been training in preparation for the exam. "Well, guess now maybe you'll get to my level... Maybe." He joked, which obviously sent Natsu aflame. "What was that poison bastard!?" Cobra smirked and folded his arms. "You heard me flame boy. I'm sure you haven't forgotten our fight.. Who was about to win if someone hadn't interrupted. You remember don'tcha?" Natsu tensed at remembering how the fight went down. It was literally one-sided, even when he made a lucky break and did that roar, Cobra still was about to kill him. "Well whatever.. Its a good thing he interfered.. Because I might have died." Having not thought of that, Cobra wore a small smile on his face, as did Natsu.

They spent about two hours talking and whatnot, until Cobra began to chase them off. "Alright, enough of this. You have an exam to prepare for, get outta here." Cobra stood up and kicked Natsu out of his seat, while he just pulled Lucy's chair back and let her get up. "Da hell was that for!? And why you let her off easy? Bastard.." You could practically hear the growl in Natsu's voice, which only made Cobra smirk. "She's a lady, that's why. Lady's are treated better than men, in case you didn't know." Happy began laughing as he flew around the room before landing on Lucy's head. "Bastard! You looking for a fight!?" Natsu bellowed out as he clenched his fists. Besides his training, he hadn't fought anyone at all and wanted to test his skill out, but was declined. "No thanks.. I'll just lose anyways." Natsu triumphantly smirked and folded his arms. "Realized who you're going up against huh? Can't say I blame ya." Cobra scoffed as he walked over to him. "Its been a while since I even used magic.. Let alone fight.. That little incident with Marco was nothing... And on the contrary, you've been getting stronger day by day. I wouldn't stand a chance, pinky." Natsu didn't know why but, hearing him say that made him feel... Different. He couldn't describe it, but he liked the feeling. "Yeah.. I.. I guess you're right."

"All right, go home. Finish preparing and shit. I won't keep you here any longer." Cobra said as he pushed them both to the door, Lucy laughed, witnessing his good side was pretty fun, she was right to think he was similar to her other friends. "Oh, and Natsu." Natsu spun around only to stop feeling Cobra's big hand on his head. "Become an S-Class.. That way I can feel better about losing to you someday." Natsu was too shocked to speak for a little while. The smile Cobra was giving him was heartwarming to him, his face began turning a bit red and all. Lucy having noticed this, cocked an eyebrow and had a devilish smirk on her face. "Y-Yeah.. I will! I'll beat anyone who gets in my way and come after you next! So you better be prepared Cobra!" "Erik." The three of them were confused, as he gave his response. "My name, its Erik." It took a while as to why he even said it, to sink in and then they smiled and cheered. "About time! You have such a cute name!" "Erik suites you." "I like it, took you forever long enough to say it." Lucy, Happy and Natsu said respectively as they bid there far wells and left.

Along the ride home, Natsu was sick as usual, and Lucy took the opportunity at hand. "So, what was that all about just now Natsu?" Natsu sat up groggily and gave her a confused look. "What... Are you talking about..?" Lucy's evil grin from earlier returned. "When Co- I mean Erik, patted your hair.. Your face was a pretty shade of red.. And it seemed like you were loss for words, like a lovestruck fool." Natsu face quickly changed from sick to anxiety. As if he forgot he was on transportation. "I.. I dunno what you're talking about!" He turned his head away, attempting to hide the small blush that appeared on his face, but failed since Lucy still saw and laughed. Happy flew in. "He liiiiiiikessss him~" he rolled his tongue as he teased Natsu who ignored them, and went back to being sick.

A month later, Cobra hadn't heard from Natsu and others for a while and began wondering what happened. He knew that may have been gone a while, but what kind of exam takes a month to do? He even thought that Natsu may have failed and had be depressed about it, but his thoughts were interrupted by two councilmen coming to his cell. "And you are?" He knew that one of them was Lahar, but didn't remember the other. "What do you want?" The two had a sorrowful expression their faces. "This is Doranbolt.. He was at the island that Fairy Tail had an exam and.." Cobra sat up as he began talking and was a bit worried by what he was about to say. "To make a long story short.. Grimoire Heart attacked.. Zeref appeared.. And Acnologia destroyed the island.. Leaving no form of human life.." It took a while for Cobra to process what he had just said. Especially the part about 'leaving no form of human life'. "We have been searching for a while now.. But there's no luck..." "Hold on, tell me what happened... Exactly."

They began explaining it thoroughly to him. After the explanation Cobra was silent, he wasn't sure how he should react. He just felt like clawing into something. He could feel tears forming in his eyes. The two noticed, and decided to leave. After a while of staring at the ground, Cobra sighed deeply. "So.. Grimoire Heart has been eradicated.. And Zeref and Acnologia are alive.." Mentioning Acnologia's name made him remember the time he and Natsu fought. It made him remember how Natsu got furious from his statement of dragons not existing. "Well you idiot.. Dragons do exist... You got your wish.." The tears now fell down Cobra's face..

The end of chapter 8! Hope you all like it! My exams are coming up in two weeks and I'll need to study so, the updates will be coming in a little slow.