REIKA-SAMA -150

She might have casually deflected the question earlier but I couldn’t ignore that she had been hit by a car.

“Kaburagi-sama ran you over with his car over the summer?”

“Ahaha, I guess.”

Oh my god. The reason the two of them suddenly seemed so close after the summer break was because he sent her flying with his car!?

“It really wasn’t as bad as it sounds. And the car wasn’t going all that fast either. Anyway, it sort of hit me and then I got bowled over and went rolling, like this,” she said, first posing like a frog and then rolling like a ball.

“Anyhow, I jumped right off so I wasn’t really injured, okay? I suppose since they actually ran over the front of the bike a little it might have been worse had I still been holding on though~ Ahaha.”

Not just hit by a car, but then literally run over? That’s not something to be laughing about, Wakaba-chan.

“I presume that Kaburagi-sama took the appropriate measures, then?” I asked, “It did not, heavens forbid, turn into some hit-and-run incident…?”

“God, nooo~ He apologised and everything, and even though I said I was fine he took me to the hospital too.”

“Obviously.”

“But I didn’t hit my head or my back so rather than being hit by a car, it’s better to say that it just kind of knocked me over. I mean, I was wearing summer clothes so the asphalt grazed my arms and hands a bit but that was it~ Well, that and the bruises hurt for a few days I guess.”

The whole time she was speaking, Wakaba-chan was wearing a carefree smile.

“But you did get injured,” I stressed, “And even if you got off lightly, you saw what happened to your bicycle. You did press him for reparations?”

“Ehh~?! Reparations? No way.”

“What are you saying! How can you give up like that! You must squeeze him for everything he has!”

“‘Squeeze’…”

Wakaba-chan looked a little disturbed at my suggestion, but Kaburagi was rich. If he just settled out of court with her he was hardly going to miss the money!

“But actually, you know, he did offer me reparations money. And his lawyer came over to my house a number of times too. It was really exciting actually, meeting my first lawyer! He seemed really capable too! As expected of the Kaburagi family’s legal advisor! Ah, but I suppose you don’t really care about that, huh. Ummm, anyway, we refused. I mean, I didn’t really get hurt or anything, you know? But then he kept offering money as a ‘get well gift’ and in the end we didn’t manage to refuse that too. It was less than the reparations offer but it was still a lot of money, you know! Actually, the number for the reparations was so huge that when we heard it my whole family started trembling.”

“My…”

“The ‘get well gift’ he wouldn’t budge on at all, so in the end he handed over this huge ‘get well soon’ envelope,” she gestured with her fingers.

From the space between her finger and her thumb there had to have been half a million at least.

“What really surprised me was that the envelope had his family crest on it. I guess big families even have their envelopes custom made, huh~ Could it be that the Kisshouin family does that too?”