The Peculiar Language of Llamas

The Peculiar Language of Llamas by WriterOnTheIsland

FOURTEEN-YEAR-OLD Myles Cook is having a rough time. Not only has his mother run off with Jocelyn, her yoga instructor, but he and his dad have moved to Garcia Island on BC's west coast to live in a log cabin. 

Garcia Island is nothing like Myles' old home back in the city; there are no stores, the WiFi is sketchy, and let's face it, the people are strange. For starters, there's Clyde, the old guy in the silver airstream trailer who carves erotic demon sculptures from wood! There's Daisy Archibald, the island coven's high priestess, (whom Myles secretly believes is a hack), and there's Axel Jespersen—a recumbent cyclist and angora goat farmer who is just plain nasty!

Last, but definitely not least, there is Norm next door; a man who teaches Myles a little about llamas, and a lot about life.

Factor in a stuffed raccoon (with superpowers), a first crush, and a whole lot of growing pains, and what else is there to do but keep a journal?  Because, as Myles is quickly learning, truth really is stranger than fiction, and sometimes you just have to write this stuff down.

Author Bio: It took me a while to get here, mostly because I figured no one would get my dated Stevie Nicks references or appreciate my obsession with muscle cars. But... nothing ventured; nothing gained, so here I am.

I am the author of the award-winning "Hannah" series (Ronsdale Press) and my fourth novel, The Picasso Project, is now available in both eBook and paperback on Amazon.

​I am a big fan of sharing stories, both with seasoned veterans of the craft as well as those just starting out. Writers are a pretty supportive bunch but no matter what our level of wordsmithery, it's nice to have each other's backs. And all you readers out there? You guys are the bee's knees.

​I love to read and write character-driven stories about imperfect people, and young adult fiction is my 'genre' jam.

​I am a stupidly early riser, a shameless eavesdropper and a huge animal lover. I value authenticity, hate pretension, and will be the person at the party who hides out in the back yard talking to the dog.

I've had a lot of different jobs over the years, the longest being a 13-year stint teaching high school art. Now I teach creative writing part-time, and enjoy freelance stylistic editing on the side.

​I live with my husband, Richard, on a beautiful 2-acre property in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, and have two grown sons.

If you made it this far, thank you. If you didn't, I understand; because sometimes I talk a lot.

I wish you all an inspired day.

Carol Anne