Chapter 21: Distance

"Joss what are you doing here?" I asked curiously as I looked at the person leaning on the door frame from across the room.

"I received your email earlier and you said it was urgent." He immediately smirked at my reaction as he started to hover his way towards my dad's table. "And I thought I could arrange the files now so I could meet you first thing in the morning." He yawned as I notice his eyes squint a little. It seemed like he was just up quite some time ago from sleep.

"I-I'm sorry. I wasn't intentionally—"

"No no, it's fine." Joss laughed as he sat on the couch in front of me. "How's your dad?" He asked with a gentle tone as he looked at me with a serious face.

"They told us he had stroke due to early stages of heart disease. And I just went to Chiang Mai earlier so I could know his diagnosis personally." I clenched my jaw as my chest started to become heavier again with which he nodded as a response.

"Joss, can you brief me with the things needed to do here? I'm afraid I need to supervise the firm for awhile and..." I looked away shyly and I noticed he immediately tensed up in front of me. "I need your help."

"Hey, I know you're tired. Can I take you somewhere? There's a coffee shop near the area and it's just a 15-minute drive." He stood up and took some papers laying on the table as if waiting for my response and I pouted. I guess I really need a dose of caffeine right now. "Let's ease your mind first then we'll talk about the firm. Yeah?"

"Fine." I heaved a sigh as I also stood up from my chair. He smiled and nodded as we're now heading towards the outside. "I'll just follow you with my car—"

"Win you have to rest just a bit. Let's go with my car, alright? I'll drive, you rest." He spoke firmly and it left me no choice but to sigh and agree. I have to admit I feel restless now.

"Yes sir." I remarked as we now enter his car which is just parked just in front of mine.

"Good boy." He hissed and lets out a chuckle.

Joss is actually dad's secretary for almost 4 years now. I have known him ever since he started working at the firm. He also took up civil engineering and got his license 5 years ago, with which he's older than me and I always consider him as a brother. I just dropped the respects because we're somehow close since we always hangout whenever I have the time to visit. But recently, I didn't have the liberty to check the firm since I was busy at school.

The skies are clear tonight, but I guess it rained earlier since the roads are quite damp. There are few cars roaming around the city at this early hour and the lights coming from skyscrapers made me heave a sigh as I stare at them blankly—just me trying to find a way to breathe from all this conglomeration of thoughts.

The smell of coffee beans immediately filled my nostrils as we enter a contemporary cafe furnished with metal and wooden touches. Some plants are also placed and adorned neatly on different corners of the space, adding up to its mesmerizing ambiance which immediately lifted up my mood.

"You find a seat and I'll order for you. What do you want?" Joss said as I bit my lip. I felt hungry after all that's happened and this is just the time I realize it. "Hungry?"

"Coffee and some pastries will do." I pouted as he lets out a chuckle and immediately went to the counter. I soon sat beside a glass wall and heaved a sigh. This day is tiring.