What Are We?

Author's pov

The chemistry class was finally over. It was lunch time so Karan and Disha went to the canteen together. There Karan bought an apple juice and a cream roll, Disha brought her lunchbox in which she had 3 sandwiches. They sat down in the table together.

"Want to have one?" Disha offered him her lunch.

"Yeah, I could have one." said Karan.

"So, tell me about your previous school."

"It was a private school, the rules were quite strict there, I didn't have a lot of friends, just the one guy, he was nice, a typical geek tho." said Karan smiling.

"Oh! And how do you know Raveena?"

Karan stared at Disha for about a minute thinking if he should open up to a girl he just met. Understanding the awkward silence, Disha smiled and broke it by saying, "leave it K, I understand."

"Tell me about your friends" said Karan after a minute.

"Well, I have 2-3 friends I could tell you about. Umm...my girl bestie Elina, she's like my sister, she's beautiful too, I can introduce you to her if you are interested."

"No, I'm okay." said Karan with a very innocent smile on his face.

Disha laughed at his reaction.

Raveena came near their table and sat down right beside Karan and ruffled his hair. "Hey! Can I join you guys?"

"Yeah absolutely." said Karan.

Raveena put her hand around Karan's shoulder and took a sip from his juice can. Seeing this, Disha felt completely awkward and said," I should leave, I've had my lunch anyways."

"Hell no girl, why you leaving?" said Raveena in a fake tone.

"Yeah you shouldn't leave," said Karan reluctantly (as he wanted to have a conversation with Raveena so bad).

"okay..." said Disha agreeing.

Raveena then starts rubbing her hand on his perfect jawline. Karan looked at Disha and was very embarrassed.

Disha finally stood up and said, "I'm sorry I have to use the restroom real bad. I'll catch up with you guys later."

As she was walking out of the canteen she bumped into Sid.

"Hi! Di-Disha."

"Hello" said Disha in a very uninterested tone.

"w-why are y-you in a hu-hurry? The next class is almost 20 minutes from now." said Sid stuttering again.

'Fuck im such a fucking loser', he thought.

"Yeah I know! Damn." said Disha frustrated.

"C-can I join you?"

"Why? Don't you have him?"

"Come on! Why do you treat me like that for something that he did to you Disha!"

"I'm sorry but I really don't want to talk to you rn." said Disha leaving.

"Yeah..." said Sid in a low tone which was impossible for Disha to hear from almost 6 ft. Away.

"Raveena, why can't we get back together? Obviously you like me too! You are too friendly for someone who just broke up with me yesterday." asked Karan.

Raveena putting her hand on his hand says,"Don't you like this? Why do you want a freaking tag?"

"Like what?! Atleast tell me what are we?!"

"You're my sweetheart", said Raveena pulling his cheeks.

Sid sat down on their table without acknowledging them.

Raveena and Karan both looked at him accusingly.

"Sorry guys! Did I disturb you?" said Sid in a genuine tone.

"Yes you did." Raveena said and got up to leave. She left.

"So!!!!! Man!!! She's your girlfriend?"

"Dunno" replied Karan while devouring the cream roll as if it was his true love.

"You're lucky dude! Getting that girl, woah!" said Sid taking the sandwich from Karan's plate.

"Yeah, she's the most beautiful girl I've ever met. She makes everything perfect, when I'm with her I know everything will be okay, her smile and damn her eyes, and I could watch her perfect freckles all day and her hair, damn her hair. If she isn't perfect I don't know who is."

"Yeah yeah whatever...." said Sid drinking Karan's apple juice.

"I'm sorry! Did I speak too much." Said Karan.

"Well.... for a single girl- YEAH- but for 4, you're good." said Sid smiling.

"geez..." said Karan.

"Well...do you always smoke?" asked Karan.

"Why do you think I have 20 chewing gums inside my sock?" said Sid.

"Uh...I wouldn't have guessed that." said Karan.

The bell rang. They went back to their class. It was the English class. Karan as usual sat beside Disha.

"Good afternoon class! I'm Mr. B. Tripathy . I'll be your literature teacher this year. I hope you'll have the best junior year! Let's talk about death." says probably the 'coolest' teacher of the school.

"Death can be so tempting right? The pure silence, the ultimate truth, the peaceful oblivion, the marvelous darkness. What are we? A mere living organism till death opens its arms wide for us to be warm inside itself. We want time from death, we've got this opportunity called life, to do what we like, to live how we like, to be around people we love, to keep our promises, to be a creature that makes a difference in this world. And death may not give us another opportunity so we can't leave behind everything, with unkept promises and the unexperienced beauty. So don't long for death, it will come to us, to all of us, on its own. Today's poem is 'Stopping By The Woods On a Snowy Evening' by Robert Frost."

Karan's pov

Why is he continuously going on and on about death when half my brain cells already are dead thinking about all the shit going on in my life! And here she is so sincerely listening to this man.

She seems so interested in each of his words, her eyes are sparkling, she didn't say a word throughout the class, the class is about to get over, why is she constantly licking her lips, Oh she's beautiful. O man! She has a mole on her neck! Woah! Wtf man! What am I thinking.

Author's pov

The class was over, much to Karan's relief.

"You seem to like English" said Karan while putting his books in his bag.

"Yes I do", smiled Disha.

They were walking in the corridor as Karan bumped into a guy.

"I'm sorry man! Didn't see you there." said Karan. The guy was staring at Disha.

He replied not moving his eyes from her, "No, it's okay, I get it."

'Weird...what did u get? Asshole' Karan thought.

The guy left the next moment.

"Do you know him?" asked Karan.

"Uh....."