24. Him

"With a life full of broken promises, trust doesn't come easy.
But if you don't trust love, then what is the point of being in love?"

It was one of the most soothing feeling I ever had, standing there in his arms listening to his steady heartbeats. There was a safety that I seldom felt and a promise of protection.

“That was a warm welcome. I take it, you are happy.” Adhvik whispered to my hair.

I nodded

“Everything went well with your Dad?” His voice raised to its usual volume but it was gentle.

I nodded again.

“Are you going to talk to me?” He was teasing but the way his arms tightened around me told he was concerned.

I gave another nod.

“Alright I guess you are going to take your time, so till then are we going to stand like this?” His tight hold around me made sure that I won’t let go.

I squeezed him back and moved a hand to his chest. Leaning back, I gave him a smile.

A smile I am sure that reached my eyes and maybe even made it shine. And I hoped that smile would tell him everything in my heart.

His gaze on me was searching. When he found what he was looking, his hands moved to my face cupping my cheeks.

“I am happy.” I whispered.

“I can see. Can I ask you why?”

I nodded but didn’t reply to his raised eyebrows.

“Is it because you cleared everything with your parents?”

I just blinked at him and he took my answer as negative.

“Your new job? Your work?”

I blinked again. I thinned my lips to prevent the trembling.

“Then? Is it because of me?” His voice was nervous and eyes serious.

“It is everything you said. At last my life is settling down. And I have got another reason to look forward for a tomorrow.”

“You do?”

“Us. I hope.” It was my turn to be nervous but more than nervousness I felt excitement.

He didn’t reply this time but gave me a smile that showed his single dimple and leaned down resting his forehead against mine. I sighed at how right this moment felt.

Later, when we settled back in his car I couldn’t help the grin that shone on my face. I gave him a smug look as he drove to our destination.

My sudden happiness made him curious. “Something big happened in Delhi?”

 “No”

“Then why sudden change?”

“Change?”

“You know, from even acknowledging your feelings to being so open about it.”

“I didn’t say anything about feelings.”

“You didn’t say, no, not with your mouth. But your eyes told me.”

“Aren’t you being a little too dramatic?”

“Am I? Ok I wont say you are an open book generally, but today you are. At least to me. I don’t think I am reading you wrong.”

“No you are not. I was scared.”

“Was. You aren’t scared anymore?”

“I am. About a zillion things. But not about this. Not about giving myself a chance.”