15. Lost

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves"

"Hello.. " I was wide awake seeing the number flashing on my mobile screen.

"Sria! It's me Kunal. "

I hummed brainstorming the reason behind his call.

"Sria woh maa.. Mom is critical. She is in hospital, met with an accident two weeks back. Her condition is worsening day by day. Doctors can't guarantee anything."His voice cracked. "Today they asked us to inform the family and... I called to inform you. You are her first born. Hum sab se zyada tumhari haq banti hai unpar. Sria she needs you. Maybe you can bring her back. Sria... "

He was desperate.

I didn't know what to reply. I only knew I had to be with them. I had to see mom. I wanted to...but!

"Sria we are in Mumbai. Have been settled here for the past two years. Sria.. Doctors say low chances but we do hope for some miracle. Please at least don't let her die without seeing you. She has been living in guilt since you left. Sria... Are you there? "

"I am! Bhai! I am. "

"Sria you will come right? "

"I will try. "

"Sria... Please don't be late. Don't take a chance to regret. She will want to meet before... "

"Maa" I called out in my sleep. I had fallen asleep in the car after a sleepless night and a taxing day. I dreamt the memories of last night conversation with Kunal.

"Sria!" Someone shook me awake.

My eyes slowly focused on the worried face of Kunal.

"Are you OK? "

I nodded not trusting my voice to be steady.

He gave me a sad smile and nodded forward.

"We are here. "

Glancing around I noticed the familiar structure of their house. We had reached the outskirts of the city. Mom always preferred to stay away from the busy world.

The house was a two-storey building with enough space for a middle class family.

It had been renovated since my last visit. It was so long back maybe in another lifetime. But then those memories kept me moving even if I didn't admit it out loud.

"Come!" He said retrieving my bag from the back seat.

I nervously unbuckled my seat belt and opened the door. Stepping out of the car I took notice of the whole place. The changes couldn't erase the memories embedded in my mind.

I followed Kunal towards the door with slow steps. He opened the door with his spare key and called out to our half sibling,

"Keyra, look who's here! " He was genuinely happy to see me.

Keyra emerged from one of the rooms upstairs. The sixteen year old descending the steps looked so much like me. She was eight years younger to me and ten years to Kunal. So we were protective of her as children.

She was only seven when I left their family to stay with my dad. So I didn't expect us to behave like long lost sisters. Time would only widen the gap in relationships.

I didn't even expect her to recognize me but she did.

She was definitely shocked and didn't know how to react just like me.

We shared a quick hug after mumbling a 'hi' to each other. We had never been close.

Kunal excused himself leaving us to handle the awkward silence that descended.