22.Permission

"The fondest memories are made gathered around the table."

The following morning, I was more relaxed than I had been in a long while. It also helped that I had a whole day free ahead.

The day was meant to complete the domestic chores that I had been ignoring for a while. So I had the whole day to myself other than two texts to Adi mentioning my last night's call. Doing the mundane chores helped to sort out my thoughts and I realized the whole working-out thing didn't turn out to be as messy as I thought it would be.

My apartment was a one bedroom flat with open kitchen and dining area. One can already see the whole space after stepping through the doorway. It was small and I preferred it that way. I never had any visitors if you exclude Adi's family and with them the space had never been a problem. It was only Adi who had stayed here other than me for our sleepovers and so I was in doubt how to accommodate three or four more people when my family visit. However, I won't be shifting or anything. I loved the space and I would keep it. But I can afford to make small changes here and there to make it seem a little more spacious.

Most of my college days I stayed at hostel and Adi's place. But after I managed to get my first job, I wanted a space of my own. And hence with the small loan that I took and the help from Adi's family I made the payment. I did think to rent a place initially but I wanted a place of my own. I went forward and bought the place. I think my parents too helped through Adi's but I never asked them. The place was cosy and I tried to make it welcoming and homely as much as I can. I think I could make it feel more lived-in and happier if I want to convince my family that I wasn't living like a hermit. I didn't want any of them feeling any more guilt and it would help that I love decorating my home. I have always found it heartening to do something here maybe just because I know I belong to this place as much as this place belong to me. I already paid back the loan during the first year of my job and it's the saved salary of my remaining term that I am making use of now. The loan was only a small amount as Adi's family helped me with the lion share. It was easier to accept the money from them then because I knew they were doing it because they consider me as their daughter. Sometimes when I remember those days, I realize I was desperate then. Because if I had settled down a bit more or became a little more matured maybe I would have been embarrassed to do so. But then the need for a place of my own was compelling and somehow, I managed to make it.

It was already evening by the time I completed every task in my to-so list for the day. I settled down with my dairy in hand to unwind my thoughts of last few weeks. Today for a change I favoured the small swinging chair in my balcony to the study table in my bedroom. The light music in the background gave it a serene feeling as I soaked up the view of the evening sun. I was not sure how but as always in its own mysterious ways my life was falling in place. This time I was not fighting it. I was not even running away. I decided to let it take its own course for the time being.

The next afternoon I was already at Adi's place telling them about my call to Dad. They were all happy with the new direction my life was taking and I too had nothing to complain about.

It was Sunday and at night Adhvik would join us for dinner. It seemed a little formal to me, it shouldn't be. We always had some of our friends for dinner but this felt different. Maybe because I knew this time it was not all platonic.

Whatever, I was looking forward for tonight's dinner.

"So Sria. How's your work at the centre?" Uncle asked.

"It is good."

"Not too much? How many hours are you really putting in?"

"Not really. But I think I will have to cut short few hours after completing my course. I will have to do some internships and gather work experience in the field. I won't be able to do it if I continue to put 50-hours a week."