14. Past and Present

"Take each step as it comes when you fight your battle. "

I landed in Mumbai later that afternoon. It had been a restless flight. Endless thoughts were swirling in my head.

I was no longer crying. While breaking down in Aunty's arms I had cried out for everything that went wrong.

It had been a while since I had a good cry and it felt liberating. By the time I did let go of Aunty my tears were dried off.

However I was moved by the faith they had in me. They wanted me to be stronger. Also assured me in words and actions how they had my back if I stumbled upon. My family.

I had already packed a small travel before leaving for Adi's home. So we just had to pick it up on our way to airport.

Before I left to board Uncle patted my head and said, "We are just a phone call away. "

It was an emotional moment but I didn't cry. There were no tears left. I was going to fight a battle that had been prolonged for so long. Even if I didn't show it, I was worried. They knew it too. How can I not?

Even if I cut all the relation with the people with whom I shared my blood, it didn't mean it would hurt less when they're in pain. And at the moment my mother was in pain.

My mother...

I shared a hug with my family at Chandigarh before boarding the flight. They were all acting strong for me but I could see their worry for me. Forcing a smile, I left them to fight my battle.

I tried to sleep in my two-hour long flight. But I couldn't. I couldn't focus on anything rather than counting down the seconds to face my past.

While collecting my small travel bag from the baggage carousel, I heard my name being called.

I turned to see Shyam and Advik standing to my side.

I realised how out of mind I was to not notice them standing in front of me.

I forced a smile and greeted them.

"We saw you in the flight but you seemed stressed. So didn't disturb you. Are you OK? " Shyam asked. Advik was silently observing me.

I nodded. "Something unexpected came up. So a little stressed about it. Other than that I am all good. What are you guys doing here? "

I tried to act normal avoiding any eye contact with Advik. He could easily catch me.

"Vrinda and her family will be leaving next weekend. So both the families planned for a small holiday before the wedding. They will be coming back by the time of wedding prepations only."

I wished them to enjoy the holidays and made beeline to exit.

However Advik called out,
"Sria!"

I could have walked out acting I hadn't heard him. I was in no mood for another lecture of his. However there was something in his voice that stopped me. I knew he cared. But this time I could feel it too. His footsteps were approaching me before it stopped right behind me. I didn't turn back waiting for him to get over with whatever he wanted to say.

"I am here! "  He whispered in my ears from back. I felt his breath at my neck but didn't move. He left after saying those three words.

I realised he might have understood something's wrong. He could definitely figure it out from my text from the morning along with  my behaviour.

I was glad he didn't ask me anything.
He never did.
Always let it be.
Giving me space.
Also reminding me of his presence in my life.

I knew those three words meant that he's here with me physically and emotionally. He assured me of his presence in Mumbai as well as in my life if something went wrong and I want a shoulder to lean on.  And I respected him for it.